Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Getting the mud off.....
961 Posts
Happened to me when I tried to drive off after having the battery changed out. I set the alarm, waited a couple of seconds then disengaged it and it started right up with no problems.

Few months later it seemed to happen again, but this time it was the fuel pump. Quick trip to A-zone for a new one and 30-45 minutes later all was well.

If the alarm thing doesn't work, check the fuel pressure at the rail......should be ~34psi even after you turn the engine off.

Good luck…….

-B

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If you haven't changed the fuel filter in the last 20,000 miles that would be a good place to start, then the fuel pressure especially after it has been sitting for a couple, check it with the engine off first then start the engine and watch the pressure for the first minute or so while running. It could be the fuel pump bleeding down pressure while it sits, may need to be changed.
Mike J.

·
Getting the mud off.....
961 Posts
If you have a Disco and plan on working on it, you really need to get or have access to a fuel pressure gauge. They can be had for less than $40-$50 and can save you lots-o-$$$$$. Keep in mind, if your fuel pressure is low it could be several different things.....pump, filter, injectors. If the pressure drops after the ignition is turned off then I'd suspect the check valve on the pump or leaky injectors. If you can get the pressure up to speck while running then I'd suspect a weak pump, clogged filter or a stuck injector(s)……..or frankly, a combination. Always start inexpensive and don’t get caught in the trap of replacing parts as your sole means of testing. Like Mike said, if your pressure is low, start with your filter; they’re cheep and can be had at your local parts dealer. If that doesn’t fix you’re low fuel pressure there are a couple of things to do w/ your gauge that will tell you if it’s the pump or the injectors.

Low pressure can cause many different problems…..low gas mileage, rough running, misfires, no starts, stalling, codes that would normally make you look at your MAF, O2s or even Cats and on and on…….

Have you tried your alarm yet?

Let us know what you find......it helps us too.

-B

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
pzwerner said:
If the engine starts , then dies after 2-3 seconds what could the problem be ?? Is it the security system or something in ignition ?? Thanks for any info...
PFZ

Could It be a IAC valve? I know that when my Ford Escape was doing the same thing it was the IAC that was bad. Not sure about on rovers, but sounds like the same problem as you are having

·
Getting the mud off.....
961 Posts
I believe the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) on the Rover engine is what we call the Stepper Motor or the Bypass Air Valve or the Intake Control Valve……I’ve heard several names for it. It is possible for it to have gotten heavily fouled with carbon build-up or to simply have gone tits up. It’s worth clean it before you replace it, as it’s quick & easy to do. The Disconnect the electrical plug and then back out the two small screws holding it in place. Use some carburetor cleaner, but if you have to mechanically remove any carbon use some 0000 steel wool then use the cleaner again to make sure you don’t leave any steel residue behind!!! Put everything back together taking care to seat it correctly. This is a 10-minute procedure that is a good maintenance check. BTW, the Stepper can be found on the side of the throttle body facing toward the front of the vehicle and looks like this (the exterior is to the left of the flange in pic)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.