Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched a modern marvel episode on the discover channel. they were talking about trucks. they had some mercedes utility vehicle on there and they should it pulling what seemed to be a defender out of trouble! seems as though this should be the other way around. Land Rovers never need help right??? (especially defenders!!!!) I have a DII and i hope to never count on some dumb mercedes for help!

·
Registered
674 Posts
drum655 said:
Land Rovers never need help right??? (especially defenders!!!!)
Always depends on the knucklehead behind the wheel - no matter what ya drive!!!!! BUT, ditto on the G wagon they are pretty capable!

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it was a mercedes unimog truck!!! big ugly piece of ****!

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am not in any way doubting the unimog....it was the troubled land rover that snagged my attention....its just a rare sight to see a rover needing help you know? especially a defender!!!! i wonder if a rover has ever rescued a unimog??? that is question for thought and research!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I like the unimogs...they are a great 4X4!!!! But as said a few post earlier...It's the driver not the 4X4!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Funrover said:
I like the unimogs...they are a great 4X4!!!! But as said a few post earlier...It's the driver not the 4X4!!
I would love to have a Unimog camper...........pull the Classic on trailer, Schwiiiiing!

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
DallasRover said:
I would love to have a Unimog camper...........pull the Classic on trailer, Schwiiiiing!

Now we are talking.... while we are at it I would like a BMW motorcycle...Just to add in the mix..... :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
DallasRover said:

Mogs are great, shuttle gear-boxs on some (give as many reverse gears as forward)
Ground-speeds as low as perhaps 10metres per hour (imagine the tractive effort!!!!!!!)

A Camper like this one??? :wave:

UK Distributor

US site

·
Registered
222 Posts
drum655 said:
i wonder if a rover has ever rescued a unimog??? that is question for thought and research!!!!
I don't know about Unimogs being recovered by Land Rovers, but I have done something similar.

At a old tractor/lorry/steam engine/Land Rover/general old machinery rally near me once, someone brought along a Scammell Explorer. These things are the Land Rover concept made 100x bigger :buttrock: . These things have a 3.5 ton recovery jib on the back and a chassis-mounted cable-drum winch rated to 8 tons, 18 gears, 6x6 drive and water cooled differentials, with a huge Gardner 6-cylinder diesel under the bonnet. They are HUGE and weigh about 30 tons when fully loaded up but they are SERIOUSLY CAPABLE off-road in the right hands, having walking beam axles and axle diff locks.

Anyway, after 2 days of this event the field it was being held in got a bit muddy, what with all the tractors and 4x4s driving around. A Cat. D8 bulldozer broke down and the Scammell was the only thing that would move it. It did, but in the process managed to get itself well and truely bogged down, up its axles.

It took 4 Land Rovers and another Cat. crawler all working in unision to get it out...

I'll try and dig out the pictures, but here's what these things look like (and no, its not broken....)

(From the 'Scammell- A Celebration' website)

About the only thing that would tempt me to get rid of the SIII!

Jack

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
k1w1t1m said:
If you haven't been stuck..... you haven't been four wheeling

Don't bring reality into this....LOL.....sad but true

·
Registered
150 Posts
jozg44 said:
About the only thing that would tempt me to get rid of the SIII!

Jack

Ey-up Jack

There's quite a few appear for sale here & there.
Have a look in the magazine
'Classic Military Vehicle', or 'Classic & Vintage Commercial'

The Leyland Martian, AEC Militant, Thorneycroft Antar (drool!!!) & Rotinoff also spring to mind as being Land Rover replacements

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bush Tucker Man said:
Ey-up Jack

There's quite a few appear for sale here & there.
Have a look in the magazine
'Classic Military Vehicle', or 'Classic & Vintage Commercial'

The Leyland Martian, AEC Militant, Thorneycroft Antar (drool!!!) & Rotinoff also spring to mind as being Land Rover replacements
Please don't tempt me......... :)

I get enough hassle for cluttering up the garage with Land Rover spares. Put a couple of axles off a Martian or Antar (likewise drool!!!) in and the garage would be full!

Jack

·
Registered
707 Posts
UMM BADASS= Scammell Explorer
UNIMOG= Even more badass

I would consider it an honor to be extracted by a UNIMOG...German engineering best in the world

·
Registered
150 Posts
jozg44 said:
Please don't tempt me......... :)

Jack
Oh go on

I like your site, just had a browse.

I miss driving my mates 101FC.

That's a very nice 110Tdi CSW as well, my Discovery is hopefully disappearing soon in order to return to a Defender (previously owned; 2A Light-Weight,110Tdi Hard-Top & 90CSW-V8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.