Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 series 2 with 60,000 miles. Lately when I shift the transmission into reverse or drive I hear a "clank" noise underneath after a seconds delay. I had the Transmission serviced at 58,000 because I didn't have the vehicle history. I've have no other trouble with the transmission like slipping or hesitating, just the noise.

I know I will have top get it into the shop, but I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I'm sure you haven't tried this yet, so do it and report back: Does it make the same noise, when you first (before shifting into Reverse) Pull the E-Brake on firmly. This will help isolate the source of the noise. If it Does not do it any more, the noise is coming from the slack being taken up in the diffs (ring & pinion slack is much greater right out of the box in a Land Rover, and starts wearing from there) It it still makes the noise, it's most likely slack being taken up in your T case.

I know you have to step on your brake pedal in order to shift it out of Neutral, but the pedal only operates the brakes at the wheel, and won't tell you much when trying to narrow it down.
Out of curiosity, when you park are you on the level, or on an incline?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help TerryS. Tried it with the e-brake today and same results, clanking noise when slack is taken up, so I suspect the transfer case. It doesn't happen during stops, just when going into drive or reverse. I haven't been parked on an incline. I've just noticed it, but it has probably been getting to this point progressively. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Noise reverse Incline

I know this thread is old, but I read it and I am now curious. My 99 D2 sounds fine when switching from park to reverse. But if I park on an incline it doesn't sound good.

Here's the situation. I am nose up on the incline (about 40-45 degrees). I put it in park and remove my foot from the break. The vehicle will inch back a bit as I do this. Sometimes I use the e-brake but it doesn't seem to make a dif. Anyway, I then press on the breaks and shift to reverse -- bam! One big clunk noise. I am guessing it is nothing too serious but I'm an idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff.

So, am I destroying my transmission by parking on an incline?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Have you replaced your front u-joints yet, if not this could be it and I wouldn't drive it.
If the shaft is failing it can tear a hole in your tranny.
How mechanical are you, can you pull the front shaft. if so, you have a CDL t/case and can drive on one shaft till you get the front fixed.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.