Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guy's, lately, my 88 Classic has been making a clattering noise when I start it in the morning. I have been changing my oil every 2,500 miles and have been running semi syn 15-40 castrol. I am guessing it's the tappets that are wearing. Has anybody changed out the tappets and if so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi, New to the board here. Lifters usually tick (or sound like they are ticking)when cold because they are either dirty or starting to wear out. Leaking or loose exhuast manifold gaskets sound an aufull lot like lifter noise. If it is indeed the lifter here's an easy and inexpensive solution. I have a mechanic buddy who specializes in Audis (notorious for offending with lifter noise) he swears by ATF fluid as an oil additive. The high detergent levels in ATF help break down the coke deposits in oil passageways. I have been using this for years on my own cars...I have been putting in a quart of ATF for every five quarts of engine oil. I usually CHANGE THE OIL WITHIN 100 miles of doing this, just in case the filter clogs and goes into bypass mode. I usually run 15-50w or 20-50w So it's probably kosher if the viscosity is thinned out a bit by the ATF. I would be warry of addding ATF to thinner oils 10-30w or 5-30w. Sometimes oil treatments and cleaning don't work beacuase the valve trane is worn out.
Tappets are boardering on easy to replace...however you should really change out the cam along with the tappets. The mating surfaces on both tend to wear evenly (I.E. the molly coat on the tappet bottom and cam lobe tip wear off at the same time). If you delve into that project there are a lot of might as wells that go along with having the front of the engine torn apart (Timing chain, water pump, misc gaskets, front main seal). Its usually a good idea to to take a look at the rocker shafts, valve guides and pushrods at this time as well.
I have also noticed that a clogged PCV filter can induce some valve noise and assorted oil leakery as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.