Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster needs assistance with 2003 Discovery starting issue.
Motor cranks, ignition produces spark. Will fire with the introduction of some starting fluid.

Fuel pump does not power on with ignition.
Fuel pump will power on if the relay socket #1 is jumpered.
With the fuel pump jumper activated, fuel pressure is the rated 50#.
Cranking the engine with pressure in the fuel rail does not facilitate starting, suggesting the injectors are not being energized as well.

Pertinent information – Have just reassembled upper portion of motor following replacement of head, valve cover and valley gaskets. This was undertaken due to a slight coolant leak, which turned out to be at the left rear valley gasket.
All the electrical plug connections are reinstalled.

The engine ran as normal before this procedure.
The mileage is just over 100K. Battery voltage is good (12.8v). Crank Shaft Position Sensor replaced last December.(Spark is functional)

Fuse #1 has continuity. Other fuses checked for continuity in engine compartment - Fuse#2 (engine Management), Fuse #10 (Fuel Pump)
Cabin Fuse #24(engine management) also good.
Pertinent relays checked (priority to relay #1 Fuel Pump)
Inertia Switch is set and was not tripped. Inertia Switch tests for continuity.

Codes P0560 and P1536 show, and return after cranking if cleared. I have seen these codes listed elsewhere on the forum; yet saw no resolution before the thread concluded.

Some complications I wonder about are -
I had the battery disconnected for a period and did not have the ignition key in the #2 position. Might I have glitched the ECM ? Clock and climate controls show the memory loss from no power. Vehicle locks and unlocks with the key remote so the BCM is responding. I did the lock/unlock 3 times procedure hoping for a response, but to no avail.

Thanks for any insights as to the non-energizing fuel injection issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since the original post – I have rechecked the pertinent relays, ground points and fuses, both inside the engine compartment fuse box and the interior drivers side fuse box – all check out as functional.

The instrument panel will have all the normal indicators light up and then go out as usual after a period of engine cranking.

Spark is present in cranking – but the fuel system is not energized.

Seems everything is normal but for the fuel issue.

Might this be ECU related ?

Just because I could - Switched CPS - no change.
Disconnected inertia switch to see if that function would respond - it did, re connected inertia switch and reset.
At a loss -
Would consider the FLATBED WRECKER TRIP OF SHAME to the local Testbook garage if that would be productive.
Anyone had similar ?

Thanks for any input.

JK

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
It "could" be the intelligent driver module-located in the cabin fuse box.

Chased my tail for months on one once and this was the ultimate problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that PT

Got my gaskets and hardware from Mark at D&D Fabrications. He mentioned that you are his supplier.

Wish I could sort this out, get it started and enjoy the smell of the new bits settling in !

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To follow up - The Independent LR Facility was able to find a fault in the wiring harness.
Their test equipment was able to find which component was involved, and isolate the wire which had failed.

So - I was overly concerned about the BCM, ECM and IDM.

The problem was Old School wiring fault.

Back in operation now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.