Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I hope someone on here can throw their opinion my way on a problem I have.

My 99 Disco went in to LR with a leaky seal between the main box and transfer box. After they fixed this and some axle related failure they asked me if I had ever had a problem starting the car. It's always started without problem and I told them this. They told me there is an electric fault, the car won't start. A week later and they add that a whole bunch of electrics aren't working, not just the ignition (lights etc). They also told me it would start but in any gear, but I think this was because the desk guy has no idea what's going on from day to day... he was back to "it won't start" the week after that...!

So with wait times to get an appointment at their workshop etc etc I haven't seem my disco for 11 weeks. They are telling me now they "have tested everything" and that the BCU "is receiving but not sending" any signals. Quoted over £1000 for a new one. I've ordered one off of eBay which LR will fit (independent LR dealership) but I'm questioning if this is the right fix at all.

Anyone know about this? My googling has thrown up that it might be the in-car fuse box, or even just that they had the vehicle standing for so long that it lost power and needs the IDM and BCU to re-sync. They had the gearbox out (and starter motor, xyz switch etc etc) to do the oil leak repair. Is it possible that they have just set the car in lock-down mode from cutting power form the battery and not following procedure to connect it all back up again?

I don't know the mileage in the 'new' BCU and I'm concerned about getting the car back with an extra 100K km on the clock, for a repair that could be avoided anyway. My other problem is that the guy at the desk seems to get no useful info at all from the mechanic in the shop, so I'm sketchy about what they actually have tried or if they have no idea what they are doing and are grasping at straws. Generally, I'm f***** off with the situation.

Anyone got experience with this or similar (the BCU etc, not being f***d off at LR, as I know you have experience there!)?

cheers, Chris

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Good question for DiscoMike. Is he still around? From Denver area. You might try to pm him.
Di so Mike has been gone a couple years I think
Denver is a long way from Norway
Sounds like a ground issue to me, broken wire, ground left off etc. Something happened during the repair.
You need to sit down with the service manager and get some straight answers on what is going on.
This has been a couple weeks? H E double hockey sticks. :frown

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
If there were many electrical glitches replaceing the BCU is not a bad move to be ruled out, important is to only disable the odometer error warning with the tester to not have it flashing due to the mileage missmatch and DON'T SYNC THE ODOMETER WITH BCU, then the mileage will be unchanged but a BCU will need complex programming to match with the vehicles equipment and fobs so i hope those who are doing it know theyr's stuff cos it doesnt seem so

The IDM(part of fusebox) will synk with the BCU without using a tester, it needs ignition on pos II for 5 minutes after each's replacement that's all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks to everyone who replied.

Update: I got a replacement BCU and delivered it to the place this morning. They (who are Land Rover dealership) had no idea what an EKA code was or how to use it. These guys have no idea what they are doing.
I think the most frustrating part is that they continually tell me they "won't get to it today, they are very busy" EVERY TIME I TALK TO THEM. We're all busy! the car has been there for 12 weeks this coming Monday. Seriously. I know few of you are from Norway, but with LR changing hands *again* to Tata I would avoid the dealerships, any other garage has to be better than this.

Naming and shaming for future reference and so that others know to avoid these guys: this is Brankos Auto in Tønsberg, Norway. Branko's Auto AS > Hjem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.