Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would like to introduce myself, My name is Spool, and I am From South Eastern Michigan. I do not currently own a disco but with a little guidance I may finally fulfill my dream of owning one. Right now I own a pathy but would like to switch up. That is why I am here. I have been reading these forums for quite some time and figure now is a good time to start posting. There are a few things that I am kinda of confused about and need some clarification.

I love Discos, but am conserned about the gas millage and owning a higher millaged disco somewhat scares me. I am not new to working on cars but have never had the pleasure of working on a Disco.

I am wondering what people do with some success about tackiling the 14mpg issue. I have seen talk about engine swaps to diesel but I do not think that I have seen a straight forward swap yet, most seem to take a fair amount of converting. The other option I saw was to convert to lpr but I do not know the pros and cons to either of these. any help with these two questions or two the ease of working on one of these myself would be greatly apreciated. thanks.

Spool
Btw is there anybody here from michigan or Ohio

· Premium Member
1,144 Posts
hey man, welcome to the forum! :clap:

rovers have never been known for fuel efficiency and probably never will be. if im lucky with my '94 disco with 91,000 miles, ill average 14 mpg.

since you are getting a used model, make sure you test a lot of em to get the best of the bunch. make sure it comes with extensive service records so you know it wont crap out on you.

i recently started working on my disco and found most things to be relatively easy. if you have any mechanical skills, you shouldnt have a problem. if you have any problems, people here will be happy to help.

good luck :drink1:

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Welcome Spool!

To answer a few of your questions...IMHO:

1 - Gas mileage....get used to it. It's not about the mileage, it's about the truck... :D
2 - Higher mileage Discos...as long as regular upkeep has been done, you should be fine. But like any used vehicle, you never really know but I wouldn't let that scare you away.
3 - Diesel conversion...not worth the $ spent unless you get a Disco for, say...like $500 with a blown engine.

Best bet...post pics and details of the rover you would like to purchase and we can give you feedback.

Hope this helps and welcome!

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Welcome! I've got an almost bone stock 97 D1 no lift(coming soon) and a/t tires and get about 18 maybe 19 mpg with straight freeway driving, but stop and go city driving thats another story. Anyway like roverx said earlier screw the mileage thing you'll be driving a Rover! Just look around for the lowest mileage and cleanest model you can find.....don't jump on the first one you find as there are plenty out there to choose from. After alot of looking around I found my 97 SD(base model) with 66K miles, paid $5300 and some change including tax, title and all the other fees. I think I got a pretty good deal for a great truck(knock on wood). Check the little corner dealerships as they usually have the best deals.

Let us know how it goes! :drink1:

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response's, I really apreciate it. The one that I am looking at right now, might not work out. The service record thing is kind of shady. So the engine swap is out? thats to bad. I figured that if my engine went I could go to something slightly better or cheaper to run LOL. anyways the one I am looking at, is a 96, 130k on the clock, and supposedly runs like a champ. I dont know if we have belts or chains but neither has been changed or tightened. everything on it works, and there are no little hang ups. are there other things I should look for. oh the price will probably be around 3200

· Registered
5,468 Posts
That is actually a good price for a 96 with that # of miles. How is the interior and exterior? What are some of the things wrong with it? What part of the country is it located in? - is there salt corrosion? (rust)
I bet you could get them down to 2800.

· Premium Member
1,301 Posts
MrSpool.....welcome to the forum...kinda reminds me of spoon, anyway just remember it's not gay if your on top...........lol
PS. Did that answer any of your questions?

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha, Ha, Deffinitly in top accept for tonight ;) no Spool comes from being a turbo guy, I looooove boost. Its better than Spooning. LOL. Anyways you guys have answered alot of my questions. I am looking for a Landrover that is in medioucure condition, mechanically. Btw how easy is it to swap an engine. if I had to? I ask becouse I figure if I can get it for say 2700 I figure I might need to swap an engine in. The engines are about a grand if not a little better but if the swap is not to hard I could tackle it. Btw is there any body in Se michigan who enjoys working on rovers. Thanks all, you guys are awsome.

Spool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.