Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a few 4 wheel drive vehicles (mostly Jeeps) and went ahead and finally got a Range Rover '02 4.6HSE. I've had it for a few months and took it into some muddy conditions for the first time where 4 wheel drive was required. While bouncing up and down, there was a distinct clicking noise coming from the front of the car somehwere under the hood (left side?). I wondered whether or not it was the air compressor continually adjusting perhaps as I was driving? Once I was on level ground/pavement it was not happening at all and I was still in 4 wheel drive. It was a bit loud, so I wasn't sure if that was normal or a sign of something more serious that should be checked out immediately. Again, this was only while in muddy un-even conditions and on flat ground I heard nothing, despite still being in 4 wheel drive. Any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
So, I haven't tried this on a Range Rover, I know it works on a Disco. If it is the ABS and the traction control, I would suggest driving without them on and see if the noise is still there. Start your truck, go into a lock position either High or Low range, drive for a few minutes then turn of the engine while the t/c is still in the lock position. When you restart I believe your ABS and T/C will be off, now drive and see if you hear the noise.
If you don't hear it, I would say it is the T/C. Might want to change your brake fluid, this may cut down on some of your noise.
Let me know.
Mike J.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks-- I'll give that a try

Now that you say ABS and traction control, it could very well be that. It did sound like ABS engaging. I will try what you suggested and definitely post a reply once I've tried it out. Otherwise, I'll get it checked out. Thanks again!

· Registered
165 Posts
I have an '02 RR also, pretty sure the loud clicking you're hearing is the Traction Control.. It almost sounds like the brake pedal vibrates/clicks on and off....

It could be something else but I'd guess it's the TC...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.