Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if... I added NOS to the Discovery. Not a hard thing to do... always the option to not make the boost crazy. I am thinking somewhere along the lines of increase of 20 hp. Does not seem to me to be over board and harmful to the engine (I have been wrong before0. Not like I am looking for some rocket power blast.

I am tired of being cut off at the on ramp to the Highway.

Anyone have a good reason not to add a mild shot of NOS to the system?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
its good on the strip and racing, but you have a limited amount of NOS and will have to keep filling it up. Im not sure how good nos is for the disco's engine, maybe Disco will have more imput on that.

Personally I would get a K&N air filter, then get a catback exhaust system with a much wider exhaust pipe, then upgrade my spark plug wires and coil to produce a better spark.....with a spark that powerful, you might be able to use platinum 4 plugs without a problem. To finalize it I would change all my oils to high quality synthetics. You might be able to get 20hp out of all this stuff. Either way, its unlimited power....no bottles to fill.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already done!

Not crazy about those Plat 4's, though. I felt more performance improvement with closing the sunroof than I did adding those Plat 4's. You are right about the rest of those things. They made this thing fun to drive again.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Josh,
I agree whole heartedily. I believe those short burst will take down the tranny with time.

As for our Texas member, what are you running for plug wires, how many miles on the truck and have you changed the O2's yet???
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I assume by nos you mean nitrous oxide... it would be hard to jet it down to only do 20 or so, but a 50 shot could be done with an off-the-shelf jet. The engine can certainly take it, as can the transmission. I'm not certain that the computer could respond quickly enough with more fuel, so you'd probably have to do a wet nitrous system- injecting fuel with your nitrous oxide. There's NO reason not to, other than if done improperly (like most mods) it can damage things. I've run nitrous on old and new engines and never had a problem- just pay attention to installing and setting it up correctly.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Disco Mike said:
Josh,
I agree whole heartedily. I believe those short burst will take down the tranny with time.

As for our Texas member, what are you running for plug wires, how many miles on the truck and have you changed the O2's yet???
Mike J.

I am running Taylor 8.5mm wires. I have about 165k and change for miles. Maybe I am lucky but running amsoil synthetic since the end of Land Rover Service agreement. Once I took over the maintance I changed out just about everything I could to Amsoil.

I have not changed out those O2's. Thus far, no codes, no problems. I have had my problems with idle issues and steering gear boxes, though. Still no codes.

I am on borrowed time!!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
it's not pointless if it's what you want. it works well. pointless is a HUGE pic in a sig line. :D

·
Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
Personaly I would do a supercharger with the AC compresor clutch ( so when don't need it , just turn it off ) . And set it to 5psi . I know of cars that will run with 8psi safe on their N/A Mottors ( mottor that is not build for boost ) .

I would say that this would be more safe then the NOSSSS ( Fast and ***** movie quote :) ) .

I would love to get my two old t-25's rebuild or the two 14B's that i still have , and slap one on each side of that mottor , but it's my only car now :) . BTW those are turbos

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I am not a fan of it in a daily driver, but if done right you will be just fine...I know a lot of guys that run it on the strip!!!! Where would you mount the bottles?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
There have been supercharger kits for the late 80's Range Rovers, but the later engines have such overbearing management systems it would be a pain to get something to work.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I've been away for a few days hence the late reply. Keptin is correct when he said that NOS it is more beneficial on the strip than for what you are looking to do, that is, more power when overtaking. The real pulling power of NOS is to be gained in 1st and second gear, although it is still quite noticable in the higher gears, and if you were to use it for this purpose, it would start to cost you a lot of money. I use it for traffic light "Gran Prix's", because I need my daily adrenalin rush, plus the 4.6 gives me plenty of overtaking power. The upgrades that you have already made is the more logical path to follow.

·
Registered
528 Posts
ok i dident feel like reading all the other posts so what ever heres my thoughts on it. it would'nt be that bag to have nos. just a simple 20 shot dry kit would be safe and not that bad if your stuck going into a mud hole or trying steal that parking spot from the bwm across from you. what ever i bet every 1 can think of a time when they wish they has just a little more power

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.