Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Disco 1

My sunroofs are leaking and have been for some time. My headliner is completely removed so I can see everything fairly well. It is not the windshield. It is not the drain tubes. It is not the plastic piece that attaches to the drain tubes. Both drain trays spill out from the front near where the sunroof motor attaches. I have removed the plastic sunroof frame from the roof of the truck in the past and found that the seals between this and the roof were not functioning. I then attempted to seal it better with windshield glass caulk. I do not remember the brand as I used it up and it is gone. It was black, very sticky, and if you got it on anything you might as well just wait until it dries to try to get it off. This slowed down the leak but unfortunately did not stop it. It usually only leaks now if it rains very hard.

Yesterday I took the drain tray off the front roof to inspect. Today it is raining. I went in the truck with a flashlight to check where the water is coming in. It is coming in in two places. One is around the frame in the back. Meaning my plastic frame to roof seal did not work. The other is between the rubber seal and the glass in the front. My rubber seal is not torn, or stiff. Seems to be in good condition. It looks like the inside portion of the plastic frame that holds the rubber seal is warped.

My questions are does anyone have experience with this specifically? Not just a leaking sunroof (seems like everyone else lucks out with an easy fix but me), but with this specific kind of leak?

What sealant do you recommend me to reseal the plastic frame to the roof? As in brand, name, etc.? Not just “silicone” I have taken everything apart so many times I am ready to do it one last time and be done. I would prefer if it came in black so that any extra around the edges will blend in more or less.

Could I add some of this recommended sealant on top of my rubber seal where it is leaking to effectively make it thicker, and hopefully that would stop that portion of the leak?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
1998 Disco 1

My sunroofs are leaking and have been for some time. My headliner is completely removed so I can see everything fairly well. It is not the windshield. It is not the drain tubes. It is not the plastic piece that attaches to the drain tubes. Both drain trays spill out from the front near where the sunroof motor attaches. I have removed the plastic sunroof frame from the roof of the truck in the past and found that the seals between this and the roof were not functioning. I then attempted to seal it better with windshield glass caulk. I do not remember the brand as I used it up and it is gone. It was black, very sticky, and if you got it on anything you might as well just wait until it dries to try to get it off. This slowed down the leak but unfortunately did not stop it. It usually only leaks now if it rains very hard.

Yesterday I took the drain tray off the front roof to inspect. Today it is raining. I went in the truck with a flashlight to check where the water is coming in. It is coming in in two places. One is around the frame in the back. Meaning my plastic frame to roof seal did not work. The other is between the rubber seal and the glass in the front. My rubber seal is not torn, or stiff. Seems to be in good condition. It looks like the inside portion of the plastic frame that holds the rubber seal is warped.

My questions are does anyone have experience with this specifically? Not just a leaking sunroof (seems like everyone else lucks out with an easy fix but me), but with this specific kind of leak?

What sealant do you recommend me to reseal the plastic frame to the roof? As in brand, name, etc.? Not just “silicone” I have taken everything apart so many times I am ready to do it one last time and be done. I would prefer if it came in black so that any extra around the edges will blend in more or less.

Could I add some of this recommended sealant on top of my rubber seal where it is leaking to effectively make it thicker, and hopefully that would stop that portion of the leak?

Thanks in advance for any help.
For the windsheild sorry this is what will looklike

The surface has to be grinded prepared befor applying any sealant and on the windsheild it is a polyurethane sealant .
I brok my glass whilst i was reinstalling it save your self hours of pain and take it to a professional will cost less ,this is after grinding the surface.

:wave:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Foe the sunroof at first i siliconed the outer than the inner but because i a menthally retarded i did this .

And yet the water did not stop seeping in

The rear panoramic glass i removed them and kleaned the rubber where it meets the metal and the glass verry well and installed back and used silicone black general electric 2 if you want a brand name .

And and and wait wait

No i still hade leaks
I changed all 5 door seals with better used ones and and wait wait

I still had leaks on the driver side kick panel so i waited it to rain and i discovered that all the holes from factory that were tape shut from factory were leaking water into the cabin cleannned all of them and tape them with aluminum duckt tape .
Did it stop it at the end ( idid more stuff with the seam sealer in all corners )
It helped a lot to reduce the water seepage in the truck but i still hade a small leak in the fron driver kick panel ....at the end of the summer i had to stop was getting cold and waiting for this summer to try to finish it before i reinstall the carpet and the interior back .
Just the ammout of rust that you can have from water take a loo at

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.