Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, 30 days after I bought a 2003 Land Rover Discovery that had a faint tick (which quickly turned into a loud tick) and eventually left me without a running Land Rover. I tore it down to find my camshaft broken into 3 pieces. Decided to find a used engine 109,xxx miles out of a vandalized Discovery same year with SAI. Paid a shop to do the swap as I have no engine hoist and lack experience. Anywho I still get an engine tick with the used engine! It is warrantied for 6/mo not sure of a mileage limitation. But I'm not sure what to do now. It only ticks while driving. Not while in neutral. I've tried to determine where it comes from, but hard to do since it only does it in drive (I'm not sure about reverse, I'll have to try that). I know there are a lot of posts about Discovery engines ticking and some people say just turn up your music and nothing ever happens. Other say to try putting ATF in with the oil then change it right after. Which I did on my old engine before it blew up. Not sure how worried I should be. Thanks for any input and sorry for a long post. Trying to provide enough information for someone more experienced to help out!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hate to say it, tick aside, but you probably contributed to the demise of your cam by running ATF in it. Bad Juju! The new tick however, if not happening in neutral, is not coming from the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Probably not the safest idea but I guess you could put it up on jackstands so that all the wheels can spin while it is in drive without it moving.

When it does the tick while its up there; just go around with a mechanic's stethoscope to figure out what component is making the noise.

Are you sure it isn't just an exhaust tick and it is only happening in drive because there is more load on the engine? (and therefore back pressure in the exhaust)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys I really appreciate it! I have not checked the flex plate nor do I think they did when installing the engine. They gave the vehicle back to me while it still was throwing an engine code and they wanted to charge me more to run a diagnosis on it. Which I believe isn't fair. Either way I finally went to an auto shop and borrowed a scanner which was telling me that bank 1 sensor 1 for oxygen sensor was throwing basically every code possible. Before the swap this code was non existent. Is there any way that an O2 sensor causing the system to run lean would make that sound or cause the exhaust to make that sound? Last night I was trying to see if I could hear the tick while in neutral and around 2,000 rpm I could just barely hear a faint tick. But when driving I could for sure hear it and even when the engine is warmed up. Also I don't have any heat now, so I'm thinking they didn't bleed the cooling system very well... I don't know if that could be a culprit as well? Thanks again for the help and ideas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.