Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the fault code P0157 pulled from my RR Sport. It indicates that Sensor 2 - Bank 2 needs to be replaced. This is a rear sensor. It appears to be a simple enough task. The advice that I have read here is that one should remove the front sensors and move them to the rear and install the new sensors at the front. Are the sensors universal? I have looked at websites that sell them and it appears that there are front sensors and rear sensors. Secondly, is it common or recommended to use anti-seize compound on the threads before inserting?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am not only a noob to the Land Rover world, but also to the auto mechanics DIY world.

Thanks! :confused

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can not swap front to rear on this, different connector, and type of sensing element.

Use a small amount of anti seize on the threads, be careful not to get any on the element itself.

Also, there was a software update a while back to take care of erroneous 137 and 157 faults, and I have seen more then a few of these sensors strip the threads in the cat coming out. May be worth finding somewhere local that can update your engine ECU software before risking it.

Just FYI, bank 2 is the drivers side, so you would be changing the sensor in the cat that does not have a 90 degree turn in it across the underside of the truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RoverGuy7 for all of the helpful information. I appreciate the clarification regarding the placement of the O2 sensors. I will take your advice and get the ECU update before replacing them. Dealer says update will cost $220 but that I should first replace the battery. It failed load test and could also give errant fault messages. Things are adding up. I'm going to have to pace myself.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
242 Posts
$220 to retune the PCM??

That's ridiculous. Either they are charging you diagnosis for something you are requesting, which doesn't make sense, or they're charging you 1.5 hours (at 146 an hour) for something that warranty pays 0.2 hours to do. Ask them if 8 times warranty time is their usual markup?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts