Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

OBD II Codes - what do these mean?

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  ////MPower 
#1 ·
Hello all you range techs! The Disco II is throwing the following codes

I bought a cheap OBD II code reader off eBay, and these are the numbers it shows. It cleared them once, and I rechecked when it threw the check engine light again.... all four codes.

Only one shows up in the OBD II code book (0734 incorrect 4th gear ratio???)

What do these all mean???????????

////M

#3 ·
beezel said:
you got some screwed up codes.

the only one that we commonly see is the 0734 its associated with the lean codes thrown by a bad MAF.

I bet five bucks its a MAF sensor.
Beez the truck runs great, what are symptoms of a bad MAF? It passed emissions a month ago and it has a great idle and at all throttle positions.

99 model with 57,000 kilometres or 37,000 miles or so.

#4 ·
When it fails, the transmission tends to shift a little differently, you may smell rich exhaust and can hesitate from a stop. My 99 has the same problem, luckily the unit is not too expensive.
Mike J.

#9 ·
////M
I have a one code for a MAF failure, went out and got some good contact cleaner from Radio Shack. It did clean all the crude from the sensor, improved the power but I still have a flat spot from a stop and some shifting problems and I can still smell some bad exhaust all of which is typical with a bad MAF.
By the way, cleaning or replacing will not turn off the check engine light, you'll still need a scanner.
The good new is Atlantic British has a good price, around $140, for a new MAF.
Mike J.

#11 ·
Clean as a whistle!

Well another check showed 8007, 8104, 9200, 6521 and 1400. (no 0734)
Weird, only the 1400 code mase sense and if it was 0104 it would be a MAF.
I started to look for a crack in the intake.

Well I took the entire intake apart. Banged out the air filter and a cloud of dust came out. The snorkel behind the MAF was damp with the combustion chamber/throttle body cleaner I used last week and the barrel shaped reservoir attached to it had a bunch of dirty fluid that had run down and pooled in it from the cleaning. (my carelessness)
Took the MAF off and sure enough you can see the microfine dust particles that make it past the air filter. On the hot-wire you could see the discoloration from the accumulation of brown dust, as well as in the channel the air runs through past the wire. (very slight but a light covering)

I cleaned the wire CAREFULLY with electronic contact cleaner and wiped as much dust off the entire MAF as possible.

I also found a wee split in the plastic where that reservoir attaches to the neck of the intake tube. I glued and ran a bead of silicone around the seal.

So far so good, no codes and it still runs beautifully. Wish us luck!

Thanks for the help with code 0734 !!!!!!!!!!!

#14 ·
Nope!

The truck only has 57,000 km (38,000 miles).
I cleaned the hot wire on the MAF and it is perfect. The truck runs perfect and I mean, perfect.
Maybe when I can see what all it takes for a dealer service I might have the tranny fluid changed and make sure the latest software is in the computer. It might just be a glitch.

////M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.