Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of going to the mechanic everytime check engine light comes on. Which scanner should I buy? Where does it plug in and is the connector universal? And how do I read the codes - does it say right on the screen what the code is? Or do I have to look it up in a glossary? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
obd

just had the local Autozone put their reader on my disco I. Connector is right under the steering column. Gave a readout that said ignition failure/misfire. Don't know what brand of reader they use but they don't charge anything for doing it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'd like to have one in case I'm not near a store. Then I could just check myself and not have to deal with sales people.

·
2,986 Posts
If it's an ODB-2 compliant truck, this one will work fine:

Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBD-II Scan Tool: Automotive

It's cheap and does the job -- It'll give you the code number and clear the codes.. Just keep a book of codes, or have a computer/smartphone nearby where you can google it... it's similar to what I use and works fine.

·
341 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I keep an OBD II reader in my glove box and use it to clear the code and turn off the "check engine" light every few weeks when it comes on. It's always a "rough road" fault, related to one of the ABS sensors. I've disabled the ABS anyway, so I just clear the code.

I suppose I shouldn't say "always". At least once I got another code, related to a rough running engine due to the MAF needing cleaning.

I've gotten to the point where I can hook up the OBD and clear a code while driving. It's pretty easy.

Most faults have to happen and be detected something like 40 times before they set a code and turn on the "check engine" light. If that light comes on steady, it's a minor code. If it flashes it's something more critical.

And those cheap OBD units aren't like the full computer diagnostics that a mechanic can run... Those can detect faults as they occur and give much more precise info about what's wrong. Unfortunately, those computer based diagnostic programs are damned pricey.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
How do I run the scan? Car in 'on' position? Motor running?
Attach cable, key in position 2, push button.

The key is, you may have to take the codes and determine what they mean...as you get a set of letters and numbers and the combination of them can mean different things. Once you get the hang of it it gets easier...there is a list of the codes and their potential meanings. Or you post them here and we get to banter about the meanings at nausea..LOL! It's pretty easy really :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it. Bought a scanner that will tell me what the codes are - but, I'll be coming to you guys for advice on the remedies!

·
Registered
14 Posts
ODB2 scanners

I have seen some excellent systems but cannot find one that will read Landrover ABS codes? Normally they restrict to domestic, Honda & Toyota. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just Bought this one!

Hi I just bought this for my 2005 LR3 and I hope it works. I want to know if there is a website for a book of codes. Please let me know if you any info about that. Thanks.

Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBD-II Scan Tool: Automotive

It's cheap and does the job -- It'll give you the code number and clear the codes.. Just keep a book of codes, or have a computer/smartphone nearby where you can google it... it's similar to what I use and works fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBD-II Scan Tool: Automotive[/url]

I have one of these and it gives "Link Error" when connecting to my Range Rover... am i missing a step?
works just fine on my Wifes Dodge and Daughters Chevy.

·
2,986 Posts
I have one of these and it gives "Link Error" when connecting to my Range Rover... am i missing a step?
works just fine on my Wifes Dodge and Daughters Chevy.

Not sure about the Range Rover... I've had similar OBD readers work fine on Discovery and LR3s... I've had one truck in the past though that had some fault with the OBD port though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure about the Range Rover... I've had similar OBD readers work fine on Discovery and LR3s... I've had one truck in the past though that had some fault with the OBD port though.
Hmmm. AutoZone's Scanner works and so does the indy dealer who sold me the RR.

Wonder if my scanner is lacking a firmware update or something?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts