Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried a handheld OBD2 code reader before? I'm purchasing a 98 VW friday so I figured I'd get one to use between my 97 Disco and the VW. Any suggestions on what to look for? I've seen them in the $90-$150 range. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I have used a lot of different types!!!! My favorite is snap-on...But that is to much $$$$ if you are not a mechanic...The ones Autozone has are nice for the price!!

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
snap on modis is nice but well over five grand plus upgrades and stuff.

as long as the system is obd2 you should be ok.

·
Registered
622 Posts
http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/rover_trouble.asp#1996

Found this on the above site:

1996 and newer Rovers
All 4.0SE and 4.6HSE and newer Range Rovers, and all 1996 and newer Discoveries use OBD II compatible diagnostics for the engine management system. OBD II is a diagnostic protocol supposedly shared by all carmakers as of the 1996 model year. Inexpensive scanners are available to read and reset OBD II codes. There appears to be some variability in OBD II scanner programming, so if you find a scanner that won’t read codes from your newer Rover try another brand.

In our shop we read codes without difficulty using OTC and GenRad brand scanners. Many other brands work also. We have encountered problems with some Snap-On models. Note: most generic OBD II scanners cannot read fault codes from 1995 4.0SE models even though they have an OBD II connector.

Your scan tool should include a book of OBD II generic codes. The list of codes runs into the hundreds. Look here for European standard OBD II codes.

Land Rover has made many other functions available at the OBD II connector but they are not accessible with generic scan tools. If you are looking for a shop to service a Rover one prerequisite should be possession of an Autologic, Rovacomm, or Testbook dedicated test system, which gives access to all the other vehicle computer systems.

We use the Autologic system at Robison Service.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Go to Grand Auto or Kragen, they sell them for around $69... that is where I got mine and it works great.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I have CarChip and Actron ODB codereader..

roverX said:
www.ambientweather.com The Davis CarChip for $99. Comes with the computer software too. It will read codes and reset the dang light. I love it. You can leave it plugged in and it will track a whole shitload of stuff.
About the CarChip, get the F/X. The cheap one does not log any of the stuff you might want interesting. It is good at monitoring the the acceleration and braking and the mph for each trip.

I have the larger Actron with the 3 line LCD display. It will do the lookup and tell you in a brief form what is going on besides the OBD code.

FYI.

Adam in NYC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.