Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a lot to do in and around this area of the Mark Twain National Forest.

Not far from the Eagle Rock Campground is Roaring River State Park that features trout fishing and 10 miles of hiking/biking trails. The Ozark Mountains will be full of fall colors in October so just driving between the campground and the State Park will provide fantastic scenery. See more about Roaring River at: http://www.mostateparks.com/roaringriver.htm.

East of Eagle Rock is a Bas Pro Shop property called Dogwood Canyon. Dogwood Canyon features hiking, biking, horseback riding, and motorized tram tours (check out the tow rig) of this 10,000-acre wildlife refuge. More information on Dogwood Canyon is available at: http://www.big-cedar.com/dogwood_canyon/outdoor-dogwood.asp.

Just south of Eagle Rock into Arkansas is Eureka Springs. This sort-of bohemian arts/turn of the century Victorian town has a lot of shopping and historic architecture. http://www.eurekasprings.org/index.html

On Saturday October 9th the British Iron Club of Northwest Arkansas is having a car show in Fayetteville (about 60 miles from the Eagle Rock Campground) you can see more about that show at: http://www.britishironnwa.org/. If there are folks that might like to check the car show out, there would be plenty of time to join back up in the late afternoon for trail riding.

Check back for more details and driving directions. Also, if you plan on attending leave a note here.

David

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Driving Directions

From Kansas City:
I-71 South to I-44
I-44 East to Exit 26
South on MO-37 – Thru Pierce City – Pierce City was all but wiped out during the May 2003 tornados. This is a neat, resilient little community with a lot of history that is slowing rebuilding. Wave as you pass thru or stop at the convenience store and give ‘em a Thumbs-Up or a “Good-On-Ya-Mate.”
Stay South on 37 thru Monett to Cassville.
At Cassville take MO-76 East (Left turn) – this goes right thru town and will be your last chance for food and fuel.
Just outside of Cassville take Highway MO-86 East (Right turn) - this part of 86 runs more North/South. Follow 86 to Eagle Rock Campground. Turn off 86 to the right into the campground on the North side of the bridge.
Approximately 220 miles

From St. Louis:
I-44 West to Exit 46 at Mt. Vernon
MO-39 South to Aurora - this goes right thru town and will be your last chance for food and fuel.
Continue on South at Aurora on MO-39 past Jenkins
At MO-76 – turn West (Right)
At the junction of MO-76 and M Hwy. turn South (Left) – there is a stop sigh post in the middle of this paved intersection – WATCH OUT for this. I’ve driven this road a dozen times and almost hit the damn thing every time.
Travel South on M to E-Hwy. Turn West (Right) on E and follow to MO-86
At 86 turn and go South (Left) - this part of 86 runs more North/South. Follow 86 to Eagle Rock Campground. Turn off 86 to the right into the campground on the North side of the bridge.
Alternative Route:
I-44 West to Exit 82 (Hwy. 65) at Springfield
Travel South on 65 past Branson almost to the MO/AR State Line
Turn West onto MO-86 and follow this A-LONG-DAMN-WAY to the campground. The last bastion of civilization (just barely) on this road is Blue Eye, MO – Made famous by Universal Records country music artist Pat Green – in his song “If I was the Devil” excerpt - “If I was the devil - I'd hang out in Blue Eye, Missouri - Where the water and the mountain collide”
Follow 86 to Eagle Rock Campground. Turn off 86 to the left into the campground on the North side of the bridge.
Approximately 280 miles

From Tulsa:
I-412 East to Springdale, AR
At I-540 head North to AR-62 – Turn East (Right) on AR-62 – I haven’t traveled this route so I can’t say where the last of the food and fuel will be. To be on the safe side I’d stop somewhere before Gateway. Or go to Cassville via MO-37 North.
Take AR-62 to Gateway, AR
At Gateway, take AR-37 North (Left) to Seligman, MO
Just past Seligman turn East (Right) on MO-112
Travel on 112 to Hwy. F – Take F East to MO-86
Turn South (Right) on 86 - this part of 86 runs more North/South. Follow 86 to Eagle Rock Campground. Turn off 86 to the right into the campground on the North side of the bridge.
Approximately 156 miles

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eagle Rock Campground

Here is a map of the campground:

Campsites 13 - 23 are ideal. You can pull your rig right up to the site for unloading.

E-mail with questions
David
[email protected]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Serg,

I’ll take the credit (blame) for arranging this. I still have the flyers you e-mailed me back in August and will distribute them at the event. If you have different ones or think of anything else you would like to distribute send it my way.

Look forward to meeting you BKNBLK – response has been pretty good so far with seven or eight trucks that I know will be attending. If you are thinking of coming leave a note here. Looking forward to reconnecting with old acquaintances and meeting new Rover buffs.

Tentative schedule for the weekend
Friday:
Evening - Arrive at Eagle Rock Campground set-up camp. Talk Land Rovers around the campfire.
Saturday:
10:00am - Meet-up to discuss trails and depending on the number of trucks – divide into two smaller groups. Head for the trails – trailheads are not far (5 miles or less) from the campground.
1:00pm – Meet-up as a group at Roaring River State Park for a picnic lunch.
2:00ish – More trail ridding
6:00ish – Dinner back at the campground – there are not any restaurants in the small town of Eagle Rock that I am aware of so bring what you plan on eating. The campground is not far from Cassville, MO that has fast-food and pizza places.
8:00ish – More story telling around the campfire – perhaps a night run if so inclined.
Sunday:
10:00ish – Caravan to Dogwood Canyon for hiking or biking. Maybe caravan to Eureka Springs for lunch.
Afternoon – Head home

Don't hesitate to e-mail me if you need additional information
[email protected]
Thanks,
david

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hook'em Horns

Ahhh...

OU/UT Weekend

Many a fall weekend of my misspent youth were at that legendary event. Dad, from Guthrie, OK with his Phd. from UT, Mom from around Salado, TX did most of her undergraduate work at OU. I can remember loading up the family truckster on Friday afternoon and hauling ass to Dallas. I’d stay at my aunt and uncles in Farmers Branch while mom and dad painted the town. We’d all go to the game Saturday and out to eat/drink afterward.

Sundays Dallas Morning News always had two sets or scores… 1: Official football game score and 2: Number of OU fans and number of UT fans that had been arrested for public intoxication/DWI.

Man, those were the days - what fun memories!
Have a great time.
:wave:

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I will probably fire up the barby have some beers and eat way too much. It happens that my 40th birthday is that Monday so I expect that there will be some friends over as well.

Life is good.
:drink1:

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
DblD,

I am making some new flyers, incorporating the new logo.. I'd hate to make you print em out.. Tell me how many I should send and I will send em off. I appreciate it!

Serg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Week End at Eagle Rock

Are there any type of facilities there at the campground. We don't have a trailer or that fancy stuff...just a tent and sleeping bags. Can build a fire and such, just let me know what is or isn't there. Are there any tent platforms available in that area or at least something other than gravel to set up on?

Thanks...from the Tulsa Area

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
grandpabuck,

Campsites with tent landings are: 1,5,9,10,18,19,20,22. I think that maybe the area for the tent is made from small pea gravel but there are plenty of grassy areas to pitch a tent also. Every campsite has a picnic table, a fire ring w/cooking grate, and a lantern pole. The sites with no tent pads are still flat enough to pitch a tent. There are also showers and flushing toilets within 100 yards of the campsites. I’ll be the one in the little green dome tent with way-to-much stuff spread out on the picnic table. I don’t foresee there being many people in the campground that same time we are. I think that Land Rovers will pretty much have run of the place. I look forward to meeting you next month. :wave:

David

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geocaching

Can’t forget about the Geocaching…

If your not familiar with Geocaching, check out the website http://www.geocaching.com/.

It’s basically a treasure hunt for real or virtual treasures. Treasures are defined differently by different people – some caches will contain a box or ammo can full of trinkets to trade, some caches will be simply a beautiful view of the countryside, and some caches will provide you with a bit of knowledge or trivia. You utilize a hand held GPS to take you to within a few feet of the prize. Whe you find the cache you log the day and date that you were there. It’s a great way for people to share remote, interesting, and out-of-the-way areas with one another. It’s also an excellent excuse (like you need one) to drive your Rover all over the countryside playing the game. There are several caches in the area of Eagle Rock and a few more in the Roaring River State Park. Whither you’re a novice or experienced Geocacher – bring along your GPS and your hiking boots – it’s all about the hunt.

David
[email protected]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
'99 Event Photos

Pictures from the 1999 Columbus Day Rally at Eagle Rock. The photos were obtained from the Flatland Rover Society website. If anyone has a problem with me posting them... please let me know. Neat little Mog came along to the event in ’99 also.

Hope to see you in October
David
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds great David! I plan to be there Friday night and Saturday day. I am looking forward to another Eagle Rock adventure!

Todd
Springfield, MO

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update –
The past few weekends I have pre-run 12 plus miles of trails around Eagle Rock. I would consider them to be average to just above average in difficulty. I have driven them all in my Series truck in 4-Low and at times I had the rear diff locked. I believe that any of the terrain could be driven in a stock Rover with proper spotting and by moving a few rocks around. There are several sections of rocky ledges that would present problems for trucks with side steps or running boards as well as low hanging front air dams. I don’t want to discourage anyone from going on any of the trails, I just want to give you an idea of what you can expect. The biggest obstacles are rock ledges where rainwater run-off has exposed the limestone bedrock. Slow and steady with a decent spotter is the key. Coil sprung vehicles will have no problems with ample amounts of axel articulation. Leaf sprung vehicles will be left with a front or rear corner hanging in the air briefly. The trails are all numbered and marked and are most often used by four-wheelers/ATVs. Trails are narrow in some areas and you can expect a few brush scratches. We have had no rain in the month of September so the mud holes are low and can be easily navigated. I look forward to renewing old Rover acquaintances and meeting new folks.

David

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last minute update

Southern Missouri has been extremely dry the past couple of months, however there has not been an open fire ban issued. Firewood at the campsite is limited to fallen dead wood. This time of the year it has been picked over by summer campers. I will bring some firewood and some can be collected on the trails.

Looks like fantastic camping weather this weekend. With highs in the lower 70’s and lows in the mid 50’s. There is a slight chance of rain Friday morning and early afternoon – no rain in the forecast the rest of the weekend.

Make your final fuel stop in Cassville, Aurora, or Seligman. Eagle Rock doesn’t have a gas station or convenience store. Cassville is about 14 miles north of Eagle Rock and has all the standard fast food and pizza joints.

For GPS users - the entrance to Eagle Rock Campground in WGS84 datum
N 36*31.731
W093*43.715

As you get close to the campground and for the weekend keep your CB on Channel 13 and/or your FRS on Channel 6. Cell phone coverage is spotty at best in this area – my cell number is 417-343-3683 if you want to contact me.

If you can’t make it down Friday, we will be gathering at 10:00am Saturday morning at the campground to head out for the trails. The number of vehicles and the driving pace will determine when we break for lunch. Try to make arrangements to bring lunch with you on Saturday. We’ll be back in camp for the evening meal Saturday night.

Now – top off the fluids – pack up the camp gear – and head for the Ozark Mountains.

See you this weekend.

David :wave:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts