Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OBD2 Reading - errors

I was at autostore to day and they let me borrow there odb2 reader and I got this error (P0300 Misfire On Multiple Cylinder) any one have this before or ideas what I should start doing or where I should start diag from?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
What year, model and mileage Rover are you talking about? What sort of maintance has it had?
This will help us answer your question.
Mike J.

·
Registered
321 Posts
also would help what symtoms you are getting as at times what code spits out is different then actual problem
take care
sam

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its 96 aprox 100k miles I am not 100% on what maintance it has had since I just recently got it but I am guessing the standard oil changes etc..

I only took it out to read it but the reason I wanted to is because some times when I am going down the highway it just starts feeling like I loose power or ran out of gas or something. Ushally when I am doing between 60-70 otherwise it hasnt seemd to happen.

·
Registered
321 Posts
check your speed senor. go for a drive with an ODB II hooked and see what the computer is reading as your speed v what the speedo is saying.. try that first
take care
sam

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You could be real lucky and just need a fuel filter also.
Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
first replace the fuel filter, make sure all your plugs are tight and not fouled and wires not arching or touching anything metal like the oil dipstick! if plugs are fouled prematurely change your thermostat if you have not done so in a while. run a can of seafoam through the plenum and one in the gas tank. p0300 is a misfire in multiple cylinders. can, at many times, be pointing to sticking valves but not always. if you start getting p1416 with the p0300 then most likely sticky valves. my 96 started acting up at right at 100k as well. i run seafoam through once a month and no codes in 6 months and 25k. post more info and POST THE FIX!!!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Disaco96,
If you are stumped, e-mail or send me a message with your telephone # and lets talk.
Mike J.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok well I put new plugs in today didnt seem to do anything sounds a little smoother though but still glitching the same. I got a new fuel filter but dont have my shop manual yet and didnt see it in the engine area is it under the truck some where?

I have also ran some fuel injector cleaner though the gas didnt seem to do any thing either.

Also does anyone know what the firing order is maybe one of the wires is on wrong? I just need the number for the cylinders on the engine I think.

I am going to head to the shop and mess with the obd again see if I am getting any new or differnt errors.

Just noticed I put odb in the title :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Go to the freeze frame portion of the OBD scanner next time it happens, or now if you haven't cleared the code. From there you can figure out WHEN the code was thrown. I find most of my codes occur @ START-UP. I figured this out as the coolant temp. in freeze frame was always close to the ambient air temp. and the vehicle speed was 0. I also recommend a fuel filter change, and @ 100,000 mi. my fuel pump also gave out. I also carry a new spare Vehicle Speed Sensor, as I now am having the 60 to 70 mph truck-wants-to-die blues. Good Luck, hope this helps. LRW

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I wasnt able to borow the obd scanner but I have ran about 5 differnt kind sof cleaners through the gas to clean lub etc.. and I havent had the loss of power issue in the last week. Or so far on my drive from chico to la. Maybe it was just the injectors where cloged or something?

I went for my first time off road on my trip down it was owsome even did a little wadding. ;)

I am going to try to get obd scanner again here in LA and will let everyone know whats up.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Are you still running factory plug wires, if so that could be your problem. Also with all that fuel injector cleaner you have been using have you changed your fuel filter?
Mike J.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I am still running factory wires. I will change them in next few days when I do the oil change.

It seems to be running great right now though.

I got the fuel filter but the one I got I can seem to find anything that looks like it where is the filter located at ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The fuel filter is located in the r/r wheel well, bolted to the frame. Plan on using some penetating oil to loosen up the pipe fitting into the filter, they can be a bugger.
100,000 miles on factory plug wires will probably be your problem, see if you can find some 8mm. Magnacor wires, they will make a hugh difference.
Mike J.

·
Registered
909 Posts
HEY DENT! This is your outside Houston buddy. I didn't know you were on this board. Sounds like many people are haveing same issues on their rover. Hope you get to work on yours soon. For those out there. The VSS was my problem. I had it for over a year, took lots of research to come to this conclusion. You can unplug the VSS and see if you have any more problems. I is an easy test if you don't have an OBDII, like me :bawling: Be aware you will lose your speedometer, odom. of course. Good luck.

·
Registered
321 Posts
hey!!! well took the truck out for a drive today as the weather was alot warmer, ecu and speedo are spitting out the same speed so my issue it not the VSS :complain: couldn't be that lucky i guess. Changed all the fluid today and brakes and such. still stumped. just ordered some o2 sensors and going to swap out the precat and see if that helps as i still have post cat o2 sensor fault even after i swapped them out. after that, off to the muffler shop to see if they can weld on a generic cat as i dont' really feel like dropping over a grand on a new y-pipe assembly
take care
sam
btw, glad to hear you're truck is running well after all the issues you've had with it :)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks! Did you ever consider the prom in the ecu? The Shop told me it could also contribute to the surges/codes too. He said it would give a misfire code. The explaination was that the fuel in USA/Canada was different than the fuel in UK, the prom was programed for their fuel not ours. The new prom was about $150.00 and is programable. I think I may get this installed this summer. Just as a precaution. Lots of luck!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts