Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have purchased a j reg discovery an it has some odd lock problems, i have oiled all locks etc an it hasnt helped at all, when the central locking opens the door the the lock/unlock buttons at the top of the door panels dont come up far enough (about 5mm short) so the doors cannot be opened unless u hold the button (top of panel) up while u operate the release lever, anyone got any ideas plz

cheers marty :cool:

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Nothing really odd about it, at the age of your vehicle, there is alot of miles on the actuators and all the linkages. There are, literally, about a dozen mechanical joints in the total linkage of central locking doors. Everyone of those joints gets a little play in it, and cumulatively, the stroke of the actuator is no longer enuf to fully operate the mechanism.
The actuators are mounted to plates, each of which has 4 screws holding it to the door frame. The plate holes are sloted, to allow adjustment of the actuator. It will require you to remove each door panel to gain access, loosen the four screws, and mover the actuator AWAY from the linkages, then tighten the four screws.
When you've done the first one, you'll say screw it, and go back to using the key. Or better yet, do like I do, Don't bother locking it. Oh, I forgot, you have 4 times the number of stolen cars per registered drivers than we do. Personally, I don't leave anything in the car worth more than the cost of a single piece of glass replacement. I would, however, like to have

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Nothing really odd about it, at the age of your vehicle, there is alot of miles on the actuators and all the linkages. There are, literally, about a dozen mechanical joints in the total linkage of central locking doors. Everyone of those joints gets a little play in it, and cumulatively, the stroke of the actuator is no longer enuf to fully operate the mechanism.
The actuators are mounted to plates, each of which has 4 screws holding it to the door frame. The plate holes are sloted, to allow adjustment of the actuator. It will require you to remove each door panel to gain access, loosen the four screws, and mover the actuator AWAY from the linkages, then tighten the four screws.
When you've done the first one, you'll say screw it, and go back to using the key. Or better yet, do like I do, Don't bother locking it. Oh, I forgot, you have 4 times the number of stolen cars per registered drivers than we do. Personally, I don't leave anything in the car worth more than the cost of a single piece of glass replacement.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers for the feedback terry i take it the bootdoor works in the same way, as this is being highly annoying as when i try to open it from inside or out as soon as i try to pull either handle the lock button falls down making the door think its locked so the lovely large boot space an jump seats are a complete waste :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.