Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Disco 2, which I recently bought. ~133k miles.

No coolant leaks initially. Noticed gurgling sound about a week ago. Low on coolant, so I filled it up and ran it with the heater on at 2000 rpm for a minute to try to eliminate the gurgling sound and get the coolant into the system.

After 10 miles or so, the gurgling sound was back. When I opened the hood, *both* ends of the hose between the expansion tank and the throttle was spraying coolant. No other leaks evident. Finding it somewhat odd that both ends started leaking at the same time, I ordered the new replacement from British Atlantic, but since I haven't received those parts yet, I replaced the hose clamps with screw-down ones.

Filled up coolant. Drove another 10 miles. No leaks. Gurgling sound was almost gone. Drove another 20 miles. Gurgling sound started up again. Popped the hood. A new leak has developed, this time on the very bottom of the expansion tank. Not near any hoses but by the circular ~3/4 inch "extension" at the bottom. Doesn't come from anywhere else. The expansion tank itself seems to have developed a micro leak. Ordered a new tank and cap from British Atlantic.

What might cause this? My suspicion is that the pressure relief valve in the cap is busted (that's why I ordered another cap). It looks like the problem is moving around now, so I worry about breaking the next weak point in the link (which might be something expensive :smile) once I replace the expansion tank too.

Am I on the right track suspecting the cap as the root of all this?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
New-to-you Rover Rule #1 . Replace EVERYTHING in the cooling system.

Rover Runs 18PSI in the cooling system. This is hard on all the components. Especially the ten-plus year old plastic stuff like the transfer lines, tees, tstat and tank. They will rupture without warning.

The cap needs to be replaced every two years. Carry one in your glovebox. When you replace the top hose, remove the old tee (assuming it hasn't ruptured) and put it in the glove box with the cap. These can often be useful to get you home on a weekend or an evening.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
To add to that, the way Rover's water flows between the block and the head typically results in either compression leaks at the bottom of the cylinders, or coolant leaks out of the ends. It is much less likely that you'll find exhaust gases blowing out of the expansion tank. Typically the cap fails the other direction- not holding pressure.

Make sure to order a replacement for the throttle body heater. Get the line too. They get brittle with age. be cautious of the barb fitting on the left side top of the rad tank- they're fragile. If you break it, you can drill and tap it with 1/8NPT and use a 3/8 hose barb. It's tricky, but can be done.

Might as well check the fan clutch while you're in there- they are notorious for going soft. Also check the electric aux fan- they seize.

Aside from cooling, you need to spend some time in the D2 section on maintenance issues. It will save you a ton of headaches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure to order a replacement for the throttle body heater. Get the line too.
I have ordered the Coolant Hose And Thermostat Kit from Atlantic British. This includes "Hose - Heater" (Sorry, I'm not allowed to post a link properly since I'm a new user... -- but the link is very close to www roverparts com/Parts/PCH500040G ). Is this the part you are referring to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aside from cooling, you need to spend some time in the D2 section on maintenance issues. It will save you a ton of headaches.

Are you referring to Land Rover Model Forums / Discovery II or somewhere else? Any particular overview list I should look at? I've read several of the sticky notes (major service on high milers etc), and found good stuff through searching (tracked an issue down to a faulty xyz switch thanks to this forum!), but if there are particular posts you recommend as a good starting point, I'd be immensely helpful for any pointers.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have ordered the Coolant Hose And Thermostat Kit from Atlantic British. This includes "Hose - Heater" (Sorry, I'm not allowed to post a link properly since I'm a new user... -- but the link is very close to www roverparts com/Parts/PCH500040G ). Is this the part you are referring to?
That's the hose from the firewall to the hard pipes for the feed and return to the cabin heater.

If you look underneath the throttle body in the air inlet, you'll see a little metal plate. It's probably crusted over with antifreeze remanats. That's the TB heater. There's a little s-shaped hose that runs down to the intake manifold and then a long hard plastic line that goes all the way across the engine. Replace it all.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Are you referring to Land Rover Model Forums / Discovery II or somewhere else? Any particular overview list I should look at? I've read several of the sticky notes (major service on high milers etc), and found good stuff through searching (tracked an issue down to a faulty xyz switch thanks to this forum!), but if there are particular posts you recommend as a good starting point, I'd be immensely helpful for any pointers.
Theres a ton of discussion in this site's Discovery 2 forum on maintenance issues and regularly occurring problems. Right off, you will need to service the differentials, transfer case and transmission. Check out the Purolator filter thread and Oil debate. The front u-joints are problematic. They're un-serviceable from the factory and often ignored. When the joint pops, it usually destroys the transmission case. Your truck has a CDL- center differential lock. Most likely it has gone unused and the linkage is frozen- you'll want to look into that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.