Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here the deal. I have a 98 with a 2" OME and 95,000 miles. I just drove it from Chicago to AZ back in August with no problems but in the last months since then ive been getting an odd noise from the front resembling the FR tire going over a rumble-strip. It gets worse. When it makes this noise, the tachometer jumps in sink with the rumble. This only happens when letting off the throtle at around 70mph. Well theres my story, lets hear how much this is going to cost my broke ass. :clap:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Only two things come to mind. (1) Front wheel bearing protesting or (2) alternator/belt needs tightening. If the belt is loose and it slips suddenly as you back off the gas, it could explain the rpm flutuations.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Disco said:
alternator needs tightening, although this doesn't explain the rpm flutuations.
Doesn't the tach run off the alt? It does i my RRC!!!! Sounds like that may be the case to me..... If the belt is not all the way tight maybe? :dunno:

·
MG
771 Posts
Could it be the bearings in the alternator? Hopefully (for the sake of your wallet) it's only the belt, but when those bearings start to go, they make some pretty funky sounds and cause tach fluctuations.

Good luck,

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, how do i check if its one or the other before i take it over to the stealership? I'm guessing the bearings will be more difficult to check out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.