Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled away from my driveway and noticed less power then usual. Then I looked down at my dashboard and noticed my Drive (D) light blinking, my "M" (symbol of a gear with a M in it) and my "S" (symbol of a gear with an "S" in it located rt next to the "M")
all blinking at the same time.

I stopped shut the car off then restarted and they were all cleared off.

I called my Land Rover Mechanic buddy and he said it was most likely a sensor from the tranny, but hopefully not a hard sensor since they cleared. He said when that happens your engine is forced into 3rd gear so you dont hurt the tranny trying to limp home.

Anyone else ever have this happen to them? :dunno: :lol:

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
How long has it been since you serviced the tranny? Sometimes a dirty valve in the valve body will cause this to happen. Might consider doing a fluid change and see what happens. if it happens again I would get it in to someone so they can read the tranny codes.
Mike J.

2,687 Posts
it's happened to me a couple times in the past.. it's "limp home" mode as your friend suggested.. It could be anything as insignificant as the gas cap not being on tight enough... i wouldn't worry about it if it all cleared up after a restart.

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the insight.

I have 125K miles and the last time the tranny was serviced and flushed was around 70K miles.

Two questions if you will:
1) Anyone know ho wmany qts of tranny fluid it takes to refill a flushed tranny?

2) Anyone reccomend me having the tranny flushed and replaced with Amzoil Synthetic tranny fluid?

Thank you in advance.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Mine did the same thing one time after I washed it, and when I say washed it, I mean power sprayed EVERYTHING, for 4 hours. I think I just got something wet becasue that was 18K miles ago and it has never shown up again.

· Registered
492 Posts
Similar thing happened to me a few months back after a camping weekend and some major dune driving.

Back on tarmac we stopped to inflate and when I tried to start the vehicle again I got that clicking noise telling me my battery had no power (even though lights horn etc working)

After a jump start everything seemed okay but the D was blinking and from the tachometer I could tell it would not go above third gear.

I managed to make it home (with a friend following me) and the following day it started no problem. Anyway I changed the battery which was almost 4 years old and it has been okay since

Oh yes I did have my Engel plugged in which was probably responsible for draining it in the first place. :eek:

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Searcaigh said:
Similar thing happened to me a few months back after a camping weekend and some major dune driving.

Back on tarmac we stopped to inflate and when I tried to start the vehicle again I got that clicking noise telling me my battery had no power (even though lights horn etc working)

After a jump start everything seemed okay but the D was blinking and from the tachometer I could tell it would not go above third gear.

I managed to make it home (with a friend following me) and the following day it started no problem. Anyway I changed the battery which was almost 4 years old and it has been okay since

Oh yes I did have my Engel plugged in which was probably responsible for draining it in the first place. :eek:

Was the red M, and green S blinking as well ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.