Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Off Roading in SF Bay Area?

Other than Hollister, does anyone know of any place in the greater San Francisco Bay Area to go off roading? I have never really driven off road, so all I am interested in at this point is something like fireroads or some easy trails.

thanks!

Serg

· Registered
9 Posts
Off Road in CA

Hi Serg,

I'm Dave Zartman, North American editor for Land Rover Owner International magazine (www.lro.com). I've just completed a piece on Where to Drive: California that will be published in a few months. I'll post a few later here when I'm home (I'm on the road right now). There are dozens around the NorCal area. Also check out the www.4wdbooks.com books as well as www.funtreks.com books for California off-roading.

If you have any hi-res (1200x1600 minimum) shots of Land Rovers in NorCal (green, mud, etc is good) email to me and I will submit with the piece to LRO.

Cheers,

Dave Z

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah... "Off Ragdoing"??? duh... it was late.. Off Roading.. sheesh...

Serg

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome Michael!

Michael owns West Coast British in Livermore, CA and he has a great reputation as a Land Rover shop! VERY knowledgeable!

Serg

· Registered
5 Posts
How about the North Bay?

Hi Serg,

Nice site, first visit.

Have you considered a trip to Cow Mountain? Large variety of trails, from easy to pretty burly. Its a bit of a huff from SJ but there are free campsites there, you could make a weekend of it if you aren't afraid of scary toilets.

Its in between Ukiah and Lakeport on the map, out Talmage Road.

If you are interested, drop me a line. I added an 89 RR Classic to the lineup recently and I'm still feeling it out. I may be interested in joining you.

If I can find them, I have some digital video and stills of my Series on some of the rougher stuff there. I'll try to dig up some stuff for ya.

Cheers,
-jbb

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like fun.. I still need to sort out a few small issues with the Rangie before I take it anywhere.

I think my first trip will be to Hollister.. as the ranger's can winch me out if I do something totally stupid.. I want my first off road experience in a somewhat controlled environment.

Serg

· Registered
5 Posts
Gotcha

I understand. Fear of stuck can be quite trepidatious.

I don't like venturing off road without my recovery kit. You can never tell when them rangers are going to take the afternoon off.

I like the buddy system, a couple of tow straps, my hi-lift jack with winch kit and my pull-pal. I don't own an electric winch, but I get by fine. I just get sweaty.

If you do head for Cow Mountain though, there is a measure of safety most places don't have: the area is covered by a tow guy who specializes in Off-Road recovery. He mainly does it because he has the contract with BLM to remove abandoned/stolen vehicles from BLM land.

Rich's Recovery Service​
(707) 763-6767​

I had to use him once. Nice guy, but for what it cost, I bought my recovery gear - which has saved my bacon on many occaisions. It pays for itself; don't leave home without it.

:beer:
-jbb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.