Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Haven't done any wheeling in AZ but we're planning a trip this January. So far this are the trail reviews I got from our trip sheet but keep in mind I cannot attest to the accuracy of these reports. Hope this helps.

Arizona Offroad Trails

Broken Arrow – Sedona, AZ
Rating: Difficult
To get there take 89 south from Sedona and follow the track logs. This trail is rated at a 5 or 6 on a scale of 10 and requires a high clearance vehicle. There is a rock pile at the start of the trail. If you can clear it, you have enough clearance to complete the trail. Nick drove it in his Land Rover Discovery ll with 31-inch tires. This trail can be extremely busy. Pink Jeeps use this trail for commercial tours and can be very possessive of the trail.

Cinder Hills ATV Area - Flagstaff, AZ
Rating: Easy to Difficult
To get there take the 201 exit in Flagstaff and go north on 89 for about nine miles. The trail is on the right. Follow the track logs. This is an excellent off-roading area. The cinders from ancient volcanoes are deep and feel like driving on sand. About 6 miles into the trail, there is a final ascent to the edge of a double crater. From there you can drive about 1.5 miles around the crater and descend the way you came up. The cinders are very loose. I would advise taking a method of anchoring in loose material such as a Pull Pal along in case you need to winch out of loose cinders. The difficult rating is for the last portion of the trail. It is easy to turn around at anytime to avoid the more difficult section. This is a wonderful off-road park. A must if you are in the area.

Greasy Spoon – Sedona, AZ
To get there from Sedona take 89A west to Dry Creek Road and turn right. Follow Dry Creek Road to the T intersection and turn left. Follow the road to the next T Intersection and turn left again. Follow this road about 7 miles to the start of the trail. Follow the track logs. The trail ends at Red Canyon Road. Turn left to reach 89A. This is a nice trail but can be impassable when wet.

Rattlesnake Canyon Trail - Sedona, AZ
Rating: Moderate
To get there take exit 306 from I-17 SE of Sedona. Take Stoneman Lake Road (FR 213) to Rattlesnake Canyon and follow the track log to the road leading to FR80. Follow FR 80 to I-17 exit 315. This is a lightly traveled track and it can be difficult to see the trail.

Smiley Rock Trail – Jerome, AZ
Rating: Difficult to Very Difficult
To get there take 89A through Jerome and turn north at the fire station. Follow Smiley Rock using track logs. The trail ends at Highway 89A. This is a very nice trail with several rock challenges. Nick drove this trail alone, but we suggest you have more than one vehicle.

Soldier Pass Trail – Sedona, AZ
To get there take 89A west from Sedona to Soldier Pass Road. Turn left and follow track logs. This trail is next to a very nice residential area. Please respect the neighborhood. I arrived early in the morning before the trail opened. I watched small groups of Gambel’s Quail crossing into a brushy area near the trail head. At the appropriate time a friendly lady came out of one of the nearby residences to open the gate. This is a very enjoyable trail.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Trails

bruinlad said:
Haven't done any wheeling in AZ but we're planning a trip this January. So far this are the trail reviews I got from our trip sheet but keep in mind I cannot attest to the accuracy of these reports. Hope this helps.

Arizona Offroad Trails

Broken Arrow – Sedona, AZ
To get there take 89 south from Sedona and follow the track logs. This trail is rated at a 5 or 6 on a scale of 10 and requires a high clearance vehicle. There is a rock pile at the start of the trail. If you can clear it, you have enough clearance to complete the trail. Nick drove it in his Land Rover Discovery ll with 31-inch tires. This trail can be extremely busy. Pink Jeeps use this trail for commercial tours and can be very possessive of the trail.

Cinder Hills ATV Area - Flagstaff, AZ
Rating: Easy to Difficult
To get there take the 201 exit in Flagstaff and go north on 89 for about nine miles. The trail is on the right. Follow the track logs. This is an excellent off-roading area. The cinders from ancient volcanoes are deep and feel like driving on sand. About 6 miles into the trail, there is a final ascent to the edge of a double crater. From there you can drive about 1.5 miles around the crater and descend the way you came up. The cinders are very loose. I would advise taking a method of anchoring in loose material such as a Pull Pal along in case you need to winch out of loose cinders. The difficult rating is for the last portion of the trail. It is easy to turn around at anytime to avoid the more difficult section. This is a wonderful off-road park. A must if you are in the area.

Greasy Spoon – Sedona, AZ
To get there from Sedona take 89A west to Dry Creek Road and turn right. Follow Dry Creek Road to the T intersection and turn left. Follow the road to the next T Intersection and turn left again. Follow this road about 7 miles to the start of the trail. Follow the track logs. The trail ends at Red Canyon Road. Turn left to reach 89A. This is a nice trail but can be impassable when wet.

Rattlesnake Canyon Trail - Sedona, AZ
Rating: Moderate
To get there take exit 306 from I-17 SE of Sedona. Take Stoneman Lake Road (FR 213) to Rattlesnake Canyon and follow the track log to the road leading to FR80. Follow FR 80 to I-17 exit 315. This is a lightly traveled track and it can be difficult to see the trail.

Smiley Rock Trail – Jerome, AZ
Rating: Difficult to Very Difficult
To get there take 89A through Jerome and turn north at the fire station. Follow Smiley Rock using track logs. The trail ends at Highway 89A. This is a very nice trail with several rock challenges. Nick drove this trail alone, but we suggest you have more than one vehicle.

Soldier Pass Trail – Sedona, AZ
To get there take 89A west from Sedona to Soldier Pass Road. Turn left and follow track logs. This trail is next to a very nice residential area. Please respect the neighborhood. I arrived early in the morning before the trail opened. I watched small groups of Gambel’s Quail crossing into a brushy area near the trail head. At the appropriate time a friendly lady came out of one of the nearby residences to open the gate. This is a very enjoyable trail.
Nick,
If you want to e-mail me or send me your e-mail, I will put you in touch with a friend in Phoenix who can help you out.
Mike J.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Don't know any AZ trails, but wanted to say you have a sweet rig....

· Registered
138 Posts
If you're looking for some trails and some one to do them with check out AZLRO.ORG. I just got back no more than an hour ago from an outing just southeast of PHX. It included my disco I, 2 disco II (one modified), and a heavly modified D90. By this time of year we try to do 2 runs a month, since its cooling down. If you're new to the off-road world they have some very patient guys who are willing to teach if you'll bring your truck. The website has some trails listed with pics and reports, sign up for the email list and come along on the next run. Hope this helped. Cheers! :wave:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.