Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I would like to gather some information about Off-Road parks and pricing for some research. The questions are fairly basic and simple, I am just really looking for your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

1) How much would you pay for a day of wheeling at an off-Road park?
2) How much is too much for a day?
3) How far are you willing to travel to get there (MAX miles)?
4) Would you also bring bikes (dirt) and motorcycle dirt-bikes?
5) Would you camp? Would you prefer there to be amenities that include a restaurant/hotel (Bed and breakfast type), WIFI, or would you like it to be primitive (tent and the ground)? Or a mix of both?
6) Would you prefer a pass for the park for a year or six months if offered?

Thank you so much your opinions! They are appreciated!

· Registered
5,468 Posts
I think all of this is determined by how big the park is. There is a little one by me that is only 5 bucks but it is only 60 acres. I wouldn't mind paying more for a larger one. I think 10 bucks is a good price for a big place for a day pass or camping overnight. Travel and so forth... for me, that depends on what is has to offer. IMHO, of course.

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
roverX said:
I think all of this is determined by how big the park is. There is a little one by me that is only 5 bucks but it is only 60 acres. I wouldn't mind paying more for a larger one. I think 10 bucks is a good price for a big place for a day pass or camping overnight. Travel and so forth... for me, that depends on what is has to offer. IMHO, of course.
Thanks for the input! Size does matter...as usual ;)

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
RoverChic said:
Let's pretend I've been there before and I like the place. 10-20 dollars.

RoverChic said:
More than a tank of gas costs.

RoverChic said:
If I were going to camp upto 3 hours one way.

RoverChic said:
NO. and I'd prefer there weren't any allowed. Dirtbikes are loud and dangerous. You get people ripping up and down the trails and it's only a matter of time before one plows into a 6000 pound white 1993 Range Rover LWB and someone is hurt or killed. Trucks and bikes don't mix.

RoverChic said:
5) Would you camp? Would you prefer there to be amenities that include a restaurant/hotel (Bed and breakfast type), WIFI, or would you like it to be primitive (tent and the ground)? Or a mix of both?
I, don't care. I can sleep in the Rover. But my wife likes the amenities. A nice heated bathroom, sans spiders, in walking distance is a must.
I think if you offered concrete pads for the tents or campers and water at each campsite you'd be ahead of the game. If each site had electricity for a fee you'd be hitting a home run.
WIFI. Well if it's free, sure. I wouldn't pay for a connection though.
Cellular service is important.

RoverChic said:
If I was frequenting there sure.

RoverChic said:
No problem.

· Magicly Delicious
1,019 Posts
RoverChic said:
Hello everyone! I would like to gather some information about Off-Road parks and pricing for some research. The questions are fairly basic and simple, I am just really looking for your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

1 - depends on how good the trails are
2 - $20 is pushing it
3 - once again depends on the trails, 3 hours is probably my max for a day trip, maybe more for camping
4 - no, but in response to Okie, if there were a huge demand from dirt bikers, i think seperate trails would be good.
5 - i would camp, but i think have whatever RVs would hook up to would be a good idea
6 - season passes are always good.

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
Sounds like you are thinking about building or investing in an off-road park?
RoverChic said:
Depends on the quality of the trails. I've paid as little as $10 & as much as $20. I would probably pat $25 or $30 if the trails were first-rate and would buy a pass.
I think if you go more than $25 you have to demonstrate real value: either killer trails & tons of space, or exclusivity.
I would say 2 hours is the max. If the trails are 1st rate, then the rigs are built up & can't ravel much more than 2 hours unless they are trailered in.
Speaking only for myself, I think dirt bikes & ATVs detract from an off-road park. The two are not easily compatible. Off-roading in a truck is very slow & technical as rigs are spotted over obstacles. Dirt bikes & ATVs tend to be "fast movers". Plus they are loud & annoying and, IMO, detract from the overall experience. I would probably not buy a season pass to a park that had bikes & ATVs.[/quote]
Personally, I would prefer minimal amenities. Toilets & showers that are clean, that's it. It would be great to have a B&B off-site (ie: adjacent to) the park, but not in it. Again, I wouldn't want anything to detract from the overall experience or seperate wheelers from each other on-site by economics. However, I would want it to be broadly appealing & inviting to those new to the sport so we can continue to grow as a community. That would probably necessitate some creature comforts.
If I liked the park & it fit the criteria above, I would definately buy a pass for 6 mos or a year. Being used to western-style open space, parks or other invite-only private land is now my only option.

No problem. The market for off-road parks is wide open and, in my opinion, offers a fantastic business opportunity if planned correctly. Off-road parks should be planned like golf courses, with trail designers who understand the game and accurate financial planning, volume planning, and environmental planning. There are far more armchair wheelers than actual wheelers. This is largely a function of not knowing where it to. It's hard for someone new to the off-road scene to "break in" to the sport.

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like you are thinking about building or investing in an off-road park?
Possibly, if I can find the right opportunity. My only real problem is finding land over 1000 acres+. I would like to do a bed and breakfast (or one nearby) type with options for RV's, camping, primitive ect. Something for women as well so that while the men are out playing the women could be pampered, I know not all women enjoy wheeling but this would allow them an opportunity to come along.

I myself don't care for bikes, I think they offer them at Paragon park. Paragon also seems REALLY expensive to me, charging for passengers, flags ect. I am sure they have reason but I still think it is overpriced once you factor in gas, food, possible blow-outs. I would like there to be a place like CO/NM/OK where people can go and be "free" so to say to wheel as they wish without an exorbitant cost involved. Once again thanks for your replies!! This is amazing information from people whose opinions I value highly. Keep em coming!

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
roverX said:
Don't forget insurance for yourself/the park in our ever growing lawsuit happy society....

I have talked about this with an attorney I work with who covers liability/product liability law.....I would probably having something signed which releases me of liability. I need to talk to him more on this matter...

· Wheeler
1,837 Posts
RoverChic said:
Possibly, if I can find the right opportunity. My only real problem is finding land over 1000 acres+. I would like to do a bed and breakfast (or one nearby) type with options for RV's, camping, primitive ect. Something for women as well so that while the men are out playing the women could be pampered, I know not all women enjoy wheeling but this would allow them an opportunity to come along.
Huge point! My wife, for example, does not like wheeling,,, but she doesn't mind the outdoors (and, of course, likes to be pampered). I'm sure many couples are the same.

Let me know if I can consult.

There's still a lot of land available in the Carolinas & VA. You don't need 1,000 acres with careful trail planning. You don't even need 1/2 that. The last private trail system I was on was fairly small, but made carefull use of the land available. We were never more than 100 yards from the main cabin even on extreme trails. There were by-passes to almost every obstacle so even folks who were new to the game could be in the caravan & watch as the more experienced drivers clambered over obstacles. To give you an example, in the caravan I was with there was 1 extreme-built Jeep, 2 other well-built Jeeps on 35's, an FJ on 35's, and,,,,,,,,,,,a brand new stock Jeep Liberty. Imagine a new Disco owner being able to travel down a 8-10 rated trail and bypass the obstacles? The only drawback to this approach is you've got to limit the number of vehicles on any given day. Otherwise,,,you probably would need the 1000 acres. But you would never know when,,,that's where the economics come in. All a solid park needs is the right location and a solid business/marketing plan.

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
roverX said:
Don't forget insurance for yourself/the park in our ever growing lawsuit happy society....

Don't forget the above, and also the most important...trying to get the local and state gov. to approve a license to run such a park. Much easier said than done I'm afraid. If it was as easy as buying some land and getting some insurance(which is easier said than done also), there would be alot more of these parks than there are! I am not trying to run you off from this idea, but just make sure that EVERYTHING is thought out ahead of time. Check all local ordinances and be sure you know your neighbors true thoughts about living next to a park like that.

Here is a link to an off road park that is fighting to just open back up after being shut down abruptly! www.kyorvpark.com

2,687 Posts
Since I go to Rausch & Paragon, it can be said that I'm willing to pay the $35 they want. I'd prefer to pay less, $20 doesn't seem bad to me at all.

$35+ is getting pricey.

For a day trip, an hour drive is ideal, if I can stay over someplace at least the night before, 2-3 hours.

Not into it, and I wouldn't care for them. I'd deal with it though.

Mix of both is nice, I like the option to go camping, but sometimes its nice to have a bed.

I think it'd be nice to have various options, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, etc.. or even a card to discount trips, like $20 per trip, or 10 trips for $150 or something.

· Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Badger1 said:
Don't forget the above, and also the most important...trying to get the local and state gov. to approve a license to run such a park. Much easier said than done I'm afraid. If it was as easy as buying some land and getting some insurance(which is easier said than done also), there would be alot more of these parks than there are! I am not trying to run you off from this idea, but just make sure that EVERYTHING is thought out ahead of time. Check all local ordinances and be sure you know your neighbors true thoughts about living next to a park like that.

Here is a link to an off road park that is fighting to just open back up after being shut down abruptly! www.kyorvpark.com
I need to do some more research on Public Land Vs. Private Land Law Liscences. My sepcialization is in Oil and Gas Lease/Rights/Drilling/Contracts which normally invloves Privately held land with the owner keeping a % of mineral value or leasing the land out for a price to the drilling company...IIRC Public Land is federally managed versus Private land would apply for licenses ect.

This is only in the works, my first real priority is finding land suitable for this endeavor (ideally located close to a major hub) which like dad used to say is the only thing that will ever appreciate over time.

Steven- I would be very interested in your advice and expertise. I work with an Economist and he asked me if I had thought about my "opportunity costs" yet when I mentioned the idea for the park. I had to think WAY back to MACRO 1113 to even remember what opportunity costs were.

I really need (and Value highly) all of your input, opinions, and what would you like to gain out of this?

· MG
714 Posts
Like SCSL said, there's a lot to striking out on your own, where the devil really is in the details.

I'm no Wall Street whiz, but do work extensively with entrepreneurs in fleshing out their business plans, with concentration on business strategy and finance. When you have a better idea of where you're headed, I'll be more than happy to lend a hand.

Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.