Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for an offset spare tire mount for my Disco II and have only been able to find two, the Rovertym offset spare tire mount and Rover Connection spare tire relocator.

I'm planning on mounting BFG 265/75/16 AT's on my alloys.

Reversing the tire carrier is not an option I want to explore.

Are there any other options I'm just not finding on the net?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
x3

....invert the carrier....if you arnt mechanically inclined it might be difficult at first....but you learn fast. I just had to take the back off last weekend to wire up CB....took like 20 mins for whole thing.

Since you asked....http://www.rovertym.com/sparetire.htm....this is an alternative. I think its just way ugly and would put more stress on the rear hatch that inverting the carrier wouldnt.

This would be the link for inverting the carrier:
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/disco2tires/

PM me if you need any help....oh, also I used Rustolium satin black......I like it more then Krylon for metal stuff, though im sure it doesnt really matter....(but I love Krylon fusion.....potato gun..)

Some extra pics;

....ehh....who needs wheel locks? ;)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
x4- I have a 265 on my spare carrier- just inverted it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I mounted a 265 on my spare tire mount by drilling new holes directly below the original holes. That moved the whole mount up 2 inches and gave me enough to fit the 265 tire. I wasnt aware that you could invert the whole mount. Its pretty easy to do if you have access to a drill press.

·
Registered
56 Posts
lol thx Bill

x3

....invert the carrier....if you arnt mechanically inclined it might be difficult at first....but you learn fast. I just had to take the back off last weekend to wire up CB....took like 20 mins for whole thing.

Since you asked....rte product page....this is an alternative. I think its just way ugly and would put more stress on the rear hatch that inverting the carrier wouldnt.

This would be the link for inverting the carrier:
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/disco2tires/

PM me if you need any help....oh, also I used Rustolium satin black......I like it more then Krylon for metal stuff, though im sure it doesnt really matter....(but I love Krylon fusion.....potato gun..)

Some extra pics;

....ehh....who needs wheel locks? ;)

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Probably a 285 will be as big as you can go.
Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
although i sell a offset bracket for the D2 i dont think its the best solution. because of the bolt pattern being closer together the stock tire mount doesnt have enough surface area holding the tire firmly. over time it breaks. add bigger heavier tires it just makes it fail sooner. the offset just adds more leverage to it so it just makes things fail even faster. the real solution is to flip & strengthen the stock carrier, or get the tire off the door completely.....swing arm or rack.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Or a completely new, fabbed up tire carrier like me. HD hinges are in the future!

But.... the new hicountry Swing Arm is awesome..
Yes it does...That's one of the better ones I've seen. And it opens with the rear door...it sounds like a good idea sitting here...Im not sure how annoying opening the tire carrier before opening the door would actually be. Good looking bumper system for the rear of the truck at any rate.

Thats just great...something else I want to add to the truck...these things just keep getting better and better...too bad i dont hasve the funds at the moment to furnish these parts that I want...Maybe one day Ill get the disco the way I want it...and not be living in it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
my 255/85 fits, but i have to slam the door. it'll be nice to get that taken care of eventually.

jupiter,

got any pics of just the carrier without the tire? how's your rear visibility? there's hardly enough roof to see out as it is...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.