Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've done my due diligence and searched the forums and web for an answer. I have a 2000 Disco II. I usually get my oil changed at a local shop. This time I wanted to try it myself, so I can get my skills sharp. However, the oil filler cap will NOT BUDGE! It is almost as if it is fused on! Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, can you offer some advice as how to get it off? I am think the oil change facility over-tightened the cap last time.

Please help!
:confused:confused:confused:help:help:help

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
the cap is a little different than the norm. it is the entire tube down to and into the valve cover and not a cap on the tube, pretty difficult to mess it up during service.
i would advise have your "wheeties" and try again, if you cant get it off by hand a large pair of slip joint pliers and a shop rag to protect the part should do it
remember lefty loosey - righty tighty

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
That is not accurate information, the cap is separate from the tube and has just been too tightened to come loose.
Take the tube off with some channel locks and put it in a vise, then work on removing the cap. Next time don't tighten it so tight.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
So, your's has been over tightened also!

·
Tennessee Englishman
32 Posts
That is not accurate information, the cap is separate from the tube and has just been too tightened to come loose.
Take the tube off with some channel locks and put it in a vise, then work on removing the cap. Next time don't tighten it so tight.
Agreeing with Mike here, the cap is seperate. I brought my D/II recently and the sellers did little or no maintenance in 20K miles.

I had this issue with the oil filler cap when I was actually there inspecting the truck. What I did was I used some large grips and gently tapped the filler cap with a rubber mallet as I put pressure on the grips... within a few seconds it sprung released. I then took some engine oil and wipe it around the thread of the cap. Issue solved.

Good luck!;)

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
good to know, i was sure it was a one piece goofy design
thanks for clearing it up mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I've done my due diligence and searched the forums and web for an answer. I have a 2000 Disco II. I usually get my oil changed at a local shop. This time I wanted to try it myself, so I can get my skills sharp. However, the oil filler cap will NOT BUDGE! It is almost as if it is fused on! Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, can you offer some advice as how to get it off? I am think the oil change facility over-tightened the cap last time.

Please help!
:confused:confused:confused:help:help:help
On my series Landy, I had the same problem. I discovered, after vicious effort, that the filler cap is secured by a steel bolt at its base. Without removing that first, it has no hope of turning at all. I don't know if Discos have the same odd feature.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Zombie thread. Last post seven years ago.

·
very disco
1,181 Posts
NECROMANCER!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts