Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just a quick question, does anyone have an idea what other oil filters fit our 4.0 v8,

For example if I was to go to Canadian Tire, or a motorists shop, is there a common type or size of oil filter that fits the same as original stuff?

I ask this because I just know if I go to the dealer there is going to be a sound like somone won the lottery, lights flash , confetti comes down from the sky and the parts guy does his happy dance and gives me a bill for a filter that must have come off of concorde or a cruise liner, because the price is like F"ç(è ing big.

Any help gratefully recieved, its getting real imbarrasing to keep walking out of the dealership cursing, I am sure they will call an ambulance next time.:eek:

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
every manufacturer of oil filters have a book that cross reference the manufacturer oil filter for theres.

The oil filters arent that expensive around ten bucks but make sure you get a new washer with it.

I could tell you to get one from independant parts guys but after getting the part over the border and shipping and handling it may be cheaper to get it from the dealer. And you dont have to wait a few weeks for it.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
hehe.....I know the K&N oil filter for ours is a 3001....well thats the size I use...2x as big as stock. Atm im not on K&N because the place I had the repairs done at said they liked this other brand for rovers...its a dark blue canister...dont know the brand.

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
X2 what beezel said about the cross reference book on oil filters, air filters, etc.. I am sure somewhere like Canadian Tire would have something like that. Hell or even try Wally world! About the dealership. Next time your in there, ask them if they will sell you whatever part you are buying that day at their cost. After going in to the local dealer alot and getting to know some of the people that work there on a first name basis, now I don't have to ask for the discount. Like the brand new OEM front shocks I got for $25 a piece for example!:buttrock: Maybe my wife and I are the exception, but it's worth a try.

:drink1:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes, I agree with Badger1 about the dealer. If you keep asking for better prices on parts, they will give you better prices. In Vancouver, the dealer wants $18 for a stock oil filter over the counter. If you phone ahead and buy half a dozen at a time, you can beat that price. No business wants to offer discounts to one customer while other customers are standing in line.... So far, I have always bought genuine LR oil filters because I'm paranoid about oil flow. My fear comes from a disaster that was probably caused by a second rate filter put on a Volvo engine many years ago.

BTW, when you replace your filter, make sure you fill it up with fresh oil before you screw it in. All the best.

Oh yeah, one more thing: when a business tells you that a price is their 'cost', what they mean is that price covers everything associated with the business including the boss' son's free ride. From my experience, their real cost is about 20-30% less than the quoted 'cost' figure.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
There's true cost- which includes buying the part and getting it in stock which includes shippind etc... then there's wholesale (some people still consider it 'cost' as the term is misused a lot) which is the part a dealer or distributor will sell to another dealer or distributor, then there's retail. There's no set percentages, the market drives the prices- although wholesale can change because of other factors.
Anyway- Fram PH16 will work... but I'd never put anything other than oem in my Rovers. Coopers is an oem supplier as is Wix. Otherwise the 'green oval'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.