Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to change the oil and oil filter in my '93 Disco S1/3.5 V8, I went to the Land Rover Disco genuine Factory Workshop Manual to check the oil capacity. I noticed a Note in bold print cautioning not to change the oil filter with an Empty Sump as you may have to prime the oil pump before restarting. Well that's OK (bit unusual), but what I need to know is do you put the new oil filter on before you drain the old oil from the sump, or (seems more likely) do you drain the old oil, refill with new oil and then remove the old oil filter and fit the new oil filter. Never run across this before, can anyone tell me the correct method, thanks in advance, Regards Frank.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I have always drained the crank case, then removed the oil filter, I fill the new filter with fresh oil prior to installing it then fill the engine. Never had any problems with this method.
Mike J.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disco Mike said:
I have always drained the crank case, then removed the oil filter, I fill the new filter with fresh oil prior to installing it then fill the engine. Never had any problems with this method.
Mike J.
Disco Mike, that's exactly the way I have always done it, except on cars that have their filter up side down or horizontal to the block, I have never heard of oil pumps having to be primed after an oil change, thanks, Regards Frank.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DiscoVol01 said:
I noticed that same BOLD print in my01 d2 as well. I havent changed the oil yet in mine and was wandering how or why you needed to do it that way
I will be talking to a Land Rover Tech tomorrow (Monday here) and will post answer tommorrow sometime, Regards Frank.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I changed the oil in my 97 Discovery 4.0 yesterday and did it the way you all have described. When I started the car I got a knock for about 3 seconds then it went away once the oil started flowing. I never had this problem with my 4.2 and I have always done it the same way. Next time I'll try changing the filter first and see what happens.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
I was taught you pull the filter off and let it drain and put the new filter back on. Then drain the oil. Never ever drain both at the same time on any D1.

D2s no problem. but D1s no dice.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
beezel said:
I was taught you pull the filter off and let it drain and put the new filter back on. Then drain the oil. Never ever drain both at the same time on any D1.

Been doing it the way Mike J taught me, have never had a problem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Filter

beezel said:

Done it that way for ten years on my rover , works for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DiscoVol01 said:
I noticed that same BOLD print in my01 d2 as well. I havent changed the oil yet in mine and was wandering how or why you needed to do it that way
I spoke to a Land Rover technician today and he agrees that you shouldn't remove the filter while the sump is empty, BUT if you dont leave the sump empty for some time or overnight it is OK. Best way is 1. Drain the sump, 2. Remove old Filter. 3. put as much oil into the new filter as possible and fit. 4. Refill the sump. Basically the way I've done it forever and basically the same as others in this post, Regards Frank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.