Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that oil leaks are quite common on D1's, but how much is too much. I notice maybe baseball sized leaks every morning. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. This just doesn't seem like an ok amount of leakage to me. Also, when shifting gears there is a substantial jolt. Most noticeable from P to R, or D to R. Not so much the other gears.

Also, everything except for the grill guard is stock on my D1. What sort of things should I look to add if I wanted to start off-roading? I'm new to all of this, and any help would be awesome.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
AndrewBone said:
I know that oil leaks are quite common on D1's, but how much is too much. I notice maybe baseball sized leaks every morning. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. This just doesn't seem like an ok amount of leakage to me. Also, when shifting gears there is a substantial jolt. Most noticeable from P to R, or D to R. Not so much the other gears.

Also, everything except for the grill guard is stock on my D1. What sort of things should I look to add if I wanted to start off-roading? I'm new to all of this, and any help would be awesome.
Not all LRs leak. My 1988 RR did not leak and my 95 Disco has a small leak which I will fix this weekend (bad tranny cooler hose).

If you are having problems shifting then I would suspect your tranny fluid might be low. When you say JOLTING do you mean a CLUNK? Clunks are commond on LRs. Could also be bad u-joints on the driveshaft.

Grill guard=brush bar or bull bar. In stock form LRs are awesome, better than some heavily modified Jeeps. Do you have fog lights on your air dam? Do you have side steps? Mud flaps? Rear step? You might want to consider removing these items since you will damage them off-road. Better remove them now if they are in good condition and sell them.

You might want to consider relocating your steering damper.

Where are you located? That'll help us determine what kind of terrain you will wheel on (rocks, sand, mud, etc).

My advise to you is do the upgrades once and do them right.

Welcome aboard.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm located in Northern California. A little place called Yuba City. It's about 45 minutes north of Sacramento. About the same distance to Tahoe as the coast.

I don't have fog lights, side steps or a rear step. I do have mud flaps though. So relocating my steering damper...is that a tough/expensive job? I'm not very good with cars, I usually take them to a shop. I would like to start learning though...any good resources or books concerning LR's?

Thanks again

· Registered
909 Posts
What kind of oil leaks do you have? Engine?, Power steering?, transmission? I had a power steering fluid leak, just a hose clamp tightening. I also have an engine oil leak, not too bad, never hits the ground, I just notice it around the block, and when I check my oil! CAREFULLY spray the engine with a de-greaser from your local auto store. I do this 2 or 3 times a year, and it gets 95% of the oil off my engine, and I know where the oil leak is, just a pain to replace gaskets!! :complain: :complain:

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I still need a little help here...I'm not good at all with this stuff. Dumb question: where do I spray the de-greaser? Pop the hood and spray the top? or underneath? See how bad I am when it comes to cars...? The only thing I can fix is when the tank is on empty. "Let me pull out my toolbox, AKA wallet!"

· Registered
1,506 Posts
AndrewBone said:
Ok, I still need a little help here...I'm not good at all with this stuff. Dumb question: where do I spray the de-greaser? Pop the hood and spray the top? or underneath? See how bad I am when it comes to cars...? The only thing I can fix is when the tank is on empty. "Let me pull out my toolbox, AKA wallet!"
Do the bottom. If you decide to do the top just cover the alternator and distributor with a platic bag. Don't wash the engine when it's very hot.

With respect to the steering damper relocation you can do it yourself or buy a kit. Just be careful with some kits, they use a bracket that can bend if slammed on a rock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.