Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, this is something I have never seen before, and I could not find anything about it online.
I am currently in the process of installing a 2 inch lift on my Discovery, which requires removing the intake pipe between the filter box and the throttle body to gain access to the shock tower to remove it. When I took this pipe out and went to put it aside, a large amount of light, clear oil dumped out of the intake. It was very similar to something like mineral oil - a very lightweight oil, with very little color and a distinct oil smell (although somewhat different in smell than motor oil, and much lighter both in weight and color). It had a very distinct, strong oil smell and felt like oil, so it definitely wasn't water or anything like that, and seemed to be a different oil than the typical oils (engine, gear, etc.) used in various parts of the truck. I have a few pictures:

Any ideas on what it could be and why it was there? As I said, I have never seen anything like this before, and struggle to see why there would be oil (or anything, really) in the intake pipe. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have seen oil come in via the small hose connector just before the large connection to the throttle body, mine was much worse when my head gasket was going. But my valve seals were pretty ancient too. It most likely came in via the IACV, from the PCV breather on the right side of the engine. It may have been there for a while.

·
very disco
1,426 Posts
I’m not sure if it’s applicable here, but I’ve seen overfilling the motor oil force it into air box assemblies as well. I’m speaking from experience on my motorcycle, but obviously the path is far shorter there

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both seem likely - it was heavily overfilled with oil (and who knows what else - it was a mud colored, sludgy mess) when I got it (like 4 inches past the full marker on the dipstick). On second examination, it seems to be a mix of engine oil and water (hence the light color and weight) - some of it has dried up, some of it has not. Most likely came from the breather hose on the right side of the engine from when it was overfilled, spitting some oil into the intake. The water mixed in is probably from some water in the oil that got there the same way (lots of sludge in there, it wasn't well maintained before I got it) and/or from condensation forming in the intake pipe. However it got there, it doesn't sound like it's a big deal (no oil touched the MAF sensor, thank goodness). I'll get the pipe cleaned out as best as I can before I put it back on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Citrus degreaser works really well and will not harm the plastic. Then very hot water rinses and let dry very important let it dry completely.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Citrus degreaser works really well and will not harm the plastic. Then very hot water rinses and let dry very important let it dry completely.
Sounds like a plan. That should also clean off the oxidized aluminum dust that transferred to the pipe from the throttle body housing when I took it off. Obviously I will take the MAF off first to avoid getting anything on/in it. I'll let everything dry for at least a few days to make sure it is perfectly dry before I put it back together. Thanks for the advice.

·
Expert Crate Digger
242 Posts
With all that oil in the intake tube I would highly suggest check /clean the air filter, MAF sensor (you said it was clean), idle control valve and throttle plate area.
Also check your black plastic oil separator on the RHD side of the engine's rocker cover. Make sure it isn't clogged.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With all that oil in the intake tube I would highly suggest check /clean the air filter, MAF sensor (you said it was clean), idle control valve and throttle plate area.
Also check your black plastic oil separator on the RHD side of the engine's rocker cover. Make sure it isn't clogged.
The air filter was a mess. I have a new one on the way. The MAF sensor seems to be untouched, but I'll hit it with some MAF-specific cleaner to be sure. The idle air control valve was shot when I bought it, so I put in a used replacement that functions perfectly a few months ago. I took it out when I took out the intake tube, and it still looks great. The throttle plate/throttle body has some oil and junk on/in it - I'll get it cleaned up. I'll definitely take a look at the oil separator, since that crankcase vent seems to be where my problems came from. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts