Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1993 range rover lwb - Roman Bronze
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil light keeps flickering and at the same time my rev goes from 800 to about 200. The engine acts as if it wants to cut off. Just got an oil change on my 93 range rover classic. I put 6 gal of 10W 40 conventional in it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Assuming that you meant that you filled the motor with 6 Quarts of motor oil, the oil light is probably illuminating at low idle because the crank is not turning the oil pump gear fast enough at 200 RPM, meaning that your oil pressure is going to be lower. The oil sensor on the timing cover notices that your oil pressure is low, and at 200 RPM illuminates the light until RPM increase. Your issue is likely something related to fuel, air, or spark and is causing your truck to want to stall.

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless your rover has a Cummings diesel, it should not take 6 gals. More like 5 quarts. If you really put 6 gallons of oil in your motor, then I would drain about 4 1/2 gallons out of it and see if your problem persists.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I meant to say I put 6 quarts of oil in it....I was terrible at math growing up. I'm going to replace the oil pressure switch and see if that helps

·
Registered
217 Posts
Put a manual oil pressure gauge on and do a pressure reading. Might need pump check and by-pass cleaned or make sure you have correct filter with a working by-pass.

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Put a manual oil pressure gauge on and do a pressure reading. Might need pump check and by-pass cleaned or make sure you have correct filter with a working by-pass.

What is the average level that it should be? Also where do I hook up the pressure gauge to?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Remove oil pressure light sensor and install T or just install a temporary set-up to check readings. Light usually does not come on until 5Lbs. If running about 1500rpms should be near 40lbs. Do not have specs but 20lbs at idle is good in most cars.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I am not sure why this thread is still going. If you have taken the wire off the sender and checked that the light comes on when you earth it, you know the wiring is fine. You have replaced the sender with a new one and it is doing exactly the same thing. Therefore the system is doing the right thing and telling you that your engine has oil pressure issues.

Attaching a gauge is only going to tell you how bad it is. You are probably better off not knowing. It has come to the stage that you have to decide to rebuild the motor or try a temporary fix like put in some thicker oil in it. I am not sure what oil you are using, but if the first set of numbers is below 15W/xx, then try upgrading to a 15w/xx oil. If it wasn't you winter, I would be recommending a 20w/xx oil.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My oil light keeps flickering and at the same time my rev goes from 800 to about 200.
200 RPM illuminates the light until RPM increase. Your issue is likely something related to fuel, air, or spark and is causing your truck to want to stall.
As previously suggested if light just coming on when idle rpm drop below normal it's not likely an indication issue or an actual pressure problem, just acting naturally.

If running about 1500rpms should be near 40lbs.
LR Manuals state to check at 2400/2500 RPM. Older manual calls for minimum of 25 PSI versus newer 40 PSI spec.

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The issue has been solved..( i think temporarily ), i drained the the oil i just put in and did another oil change with a new filter. In my previous post i said i used 6 qts of 10w 40 regular but in fact i used 5w 30 regular and that's why I was getting the light. Now when i drive the light does not come on. I also noticed the rpm doesn't drop to 200 anymore but more like500 to 600. So far so good. No the heat is the issue...it blows on all speeds but it is only luke warm. After about 10min the inside should be like an oven but its not. What should I check for.

·
Registered
188 Posts
No Heat

Current operating temp? If too low possibly thermostat?

Coolant level low or requires bleeding?

Check heater hoses when at operating temp, inlet and outlet should be similar temp. If not flow through heater core restricted.

Quick and dirty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.