Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be a dumb Question but i have both options. 98' - D1 -LSE

Do people recommend using the OEM Cork Gasket when refitting the oild pan, or just use black RTV Gasket maker?

I Have the cork Gasket picked up up for like $10 and i have some Black RTV as well. Which is better? I dont want to come back in a few months and find out that the Cork is **** which i have heard can happen.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Use both. There's no such thing as too much sealing on these leaking SOB's.

If you're doing the RMS, seal it as well, with a small amount of silicone on the parting surfaces and a bunch on the crucifix seals.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Use a paper/cardboard type gasket. Not cork. Cork tends to spread out over times and causes leak. I only use silicone on one sump side of gasket as that is usually where any imperfections are and it makes it a lot easier to remove the sump at a future date if you have to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use both. There's no such thing as too much sealing on these leaking SOB's.

If you're doing the RMS, seal it as well, with a small amount of silicone on the parting surfaces and a bunch on the crucifix seals.
Use RTV with the cork gasket? all round top and bottom or what are you suggesting haha.

i didnt plan on doing the rear main i dont have many leaks under there most was coming from the valve covers and front of oil pan. but ill take a look if i see some weaping. is there another way to tell if the RMS is leaking as well?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use a paper/cardboard type gasket. Not cork. Cork tends to spread out over times and causes leak. I only use silicone on one sump side of gasket as that is usually where any imperfections are and it makes it a lot easier to remove the sump at a future date if you have to.
i have heard that cork leaks but i already have one to use in my garage. should i soak it then put it on torque it loose then come back and torque again? i have heard that can help. i can always just use RTV for the whole pan cant I? to insure it wont leak?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Use RTV on both sides of the gasket. I would not attempt to eliminate the gasket by using just RTV. And use a torque wrench. I would be less worried about the next removal of the pan and more about it leaking this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.