Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Oil Pump Failure (and complete oil dump) After Oil CHange

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Douglasson 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to hit you guys with this situation and get an opinion: Last week I had my oil changed on my 2008 LR2 (95k mi) at the LR Dealership. Next day, oil light comes on, oil is bone dry, so back to dealership that afternoon (24 hrs after oil change).

All oil had dumped onto the transmission and under the car while driving. They say it's a catastrophic oil pump failure and it was pumping oil OUT of the engine onto the ground. New one w/ install is over $1050. They say they've only seen this rarely. They'll knock off $100 and provide me a loaner.

Do you think I have a leg to stand on in tying this to the oil change, or is this considered a "normal" wear/tear? I'm wondering if it's worth the fight. What do you think? Cheers!

Discussion starter · #2 ·
I wanted to hit you guys with this situation and get an opinion: Last week I had my oil changed on my 2008 LR2 (95k mi) at the LR Dealership. Next day, oil light comes on, oil is bone dry, so back to dealership that afternoon (24 hrs after oil change).

All oil had dumped onto the transmission and under the car while driving. They say it's a catastrophic oil pump failure and it was pumping oil OUT of the engine onto the ground. New one w/ install is over $1050. They say they've only seen this rarely. They'll knock off $100 and provide me a loaner.

Do you think I have a leg to stand on in tying this to the oil change, or is this considered a "normal" wear/tear? I'm wondering if it's worth the fight. What do you think? Cheers!
UPDATE:

Took a week to resolve problem, receive part, and put it in. Turns out the official response was that there was a catastrophic failure of the vacuum pump, which caused the oil pump to separate and dump all the brand new oil straight under vehicle. I never saw drips or smelled anything, so I guess it dumped directly on ground as I was driving the next day. Very strange to lose all oil and never notice. Final parts/labor/oil was about $1100. We'll hope this one lasts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.