Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at an 03 tomorrow that falls within the specified vin range and I was wondering......

1) Where do you hook up a gauge to test the oil pressure
2) what should the numbers be for all four readings
3) if I were to buy it and either replace the pump right away or if the oil light were to come on and I shut it down right away, would I have to replace the gear and the cover or just the gear? There seems to be about a $400-$500 difference between just the gear and the entire assembly.

· '03 Disco SE
573 Posts
1. There is an M12x1.5 port on the timing cover (right next to the pressure sender). Remove the plug and attached your gauge there.

2. The cold readings shouldn't be far off of 50psi, hot idle should be around 13-14psi, hot 2000rpm should be around 45psi.

3. I wouldn't count on the OEM oil light for any assurance. The trigger is set at 7psi which is well into the "too low" category already. If it comes on when you're driving, chances are it's too late already. You won't be able to get away with just replacing the pump gears or cover - the damage will be done to your bearings and valve train, pretty much ensuring the need for a rebuild.

I also have an '03 in the death range. I pulled the pump last November and removed my outer pump gear in 3 pieces. Despite this, it still managed to build adequate pressure. So the oil pressure test won't tell you the whole story. You need a way to monitor oil pressure in real-time. I ended up installing a digital/analog gauge that lets me know the oil pressure readings exactly. I really recommend it.

If you do need to replace the pump - there's no need to get a full cover, just get the gears. It's not like a new pump will help the condition, the problem is in the block. Save your money for something else. Just remember to pack the new gears with assembly lube/petroleum jelly as that allows them to prime properly on the first start.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I went and checked the truck out and it was beautiful, only one flaw, mismatched tires and they were in terrible shape to boot. I made the guy an offer and he said, I want $5000 for it. I said your ad said $4200 OBO. He responds by saying well two months ago I put $1200 in parts on it I have the receipts. I said but your ad was posted less than a week ago, why does it say $4200 if you want $5000. He had no reply, so I said well I will give you $3900 since the ad says $4200 but it needs $800 in tires. He said no. So I told him that he should change the ad to reflect the correct price or he will have some pissed off people that come to look at it. The best part is that the truck is about an hour and thirty minutes from my house and my parents just happened to be in his town the day before so I asked them to check it out and he told them $4200 obo, my dad went back with me and my dad told him that yesterday he said $4200 and all the guy could say was I want $5000.

· Registered
52 Posts
I would keep looking. Does not sound like someone I would do business with. I looked for 4 months before I found my disco. Been happy ever since.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah really shady, he still has not updated his ad. I had a friend call him yesterday and at the very end of the conversation he said well there is just one more thing, I want $5000 for it bottom line. When asked why the ad said $4200 OBO he said look the price is $5000...no wonder craigslist gets such a bad reputation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.