Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Disco that is in need of an oil pump.Could those in the know enlighten me as to where I might find a replacement pump and just how big of a pain this will be.I am no expert but i can turn a wrench pretty well.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Get intouch with Atlantis British for the pump and DiscoWeb for the directions. Why do you think your's has failed, how many miles on it and what is it doing wrong?
Mike J.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I puleed the valve covers and find no sign of oil flow.I had a mech friend test the pressure with a mechanical gauge and he said it was in fact low.I did not see this so I only have his word.I have 85000 on it at the moment.
Is there another possibility.Oil screen clogged maybe?
Thanks for the input Disco Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
A clogged oil screen is possible, but if it has that much crud in it, the pump gears might be shot, too. Since you'd have to access the pump to clean the screen, you might as well put a new one in. Another possible cause for low pressure is worn-out main bearings. The mains shouldn't be gone at this mileage unless the engine was run with dirty oil, or none. I have experienced one instance of low oil pressure resulting from a clean-out plug being blown out of a crankshaft, but this was not on a Rover engine. This is highly unlikely.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing I negelected to mention is that it takes a while for the oil light to come on.You can drive for say 20 minutes before the light comes on.Something else I noticed was noise coming from the front of the engine.Sounds like bearings in water pump or maybe alt.If the oil pump is behind the water pump(right?)could that be where the noise is coming from.Hard to describe just sounds like worn out bearings..the noise that is.

Thanks for all the input

1 - 5 of 5 Posts