Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Disco, 156,000 miles, Disco Mike's maintenance list completed. Ran great. Oil light came on at hot idle. Original oil pump outer ring broken into 5 pieces. , Oil pump/timing chain replacement started. Got everything off, timing chain appears stretched,, no sludge in oil sump. Ordered new pump kit, chain, gaskets, thermostat, hoses from BP Utah. Inside of crankshaft hole appears unscored. When attempting to install new gear set, can't refit outer gear into timing cover. It seems as if the gear is a tad to big. It should just drop right in. Is it a problem with the timing cover or faulty gear set? Thoughts?? Thanks !!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Pics? Can it be put on backwards?

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Keep in mind that there is a beveled side to the outer ring - that beveled side should go into the cover first (bevel should face towards crank seal).

Don't try to force it otherwise it'll likely crack when you start it up again. It should fit with no problems. I did my timing cover a few weeks ago and the gear should just drop in - no pressure required. Furthermore you should be able to spin the gear freely.

Contact BP Utah and see what they say. I also got my gear set from them and it worked perfectly. They'll likely send you another kit, but if it also fails to fit you'll probably need a new cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bosnian. As suspected, the timing cover was shot. Ordered a replacement timing cover, and the gear falls right into place with the bevel side down. Getting everything back together tonite.

Thanks again !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.