Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i bought a 03 Discovery back in the fall for my first vehicle down in Atlanta. Got it back home to the middle of north carolina on a trailer and started to drive it day to day. Long story short, gas was getting in the oil and it need head gaskets. Have it all apart with the body removed (will have a guide on how to remove the body soon) to have all the room I need to work. While it is apart, I'm going to do rebuild (rings, bearing, seals...) and i don't want to put it all back together and then go 5 miles and the oil pump decides that its wants to be funny and explode. It had good pressure when driving so here is the BIG questions.
When fixing the oil pump problem in the range that includes my 4.6, what all needs to be replaced? Just the oil gear/pump or the whole front cover?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
You really think that removing the body was the best way to achieve your goal?

W/R/T oil pumps, VIN range means absolutely nothing. All Motronics engines are at risk of oil pump failure.

If it is intact when you disassemble it, there is no reason to replace the oil pump.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
How do you intend to remove the crankshaft without separating the engine from transmission?

Trust me, you've made a LOT more work for yourself by removing the body versus the engine from the frame.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine is going to be removed and on a engine stand for the rebuild, separated from the transmission

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
The engine is going to be removed and on a engine stand for the rebuild, separated from the transmission

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers
Why did you remove the body? That was a colossal waste of time.

It's not that big of a deal to pull the engine out, I can do one if just a coupla hours.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We all have our different methods for anything we do. But I'm also have some of the body painted while I do the engine work.

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Well, that is certainly one way to gain intimate knowledge of the truck. I will bet he knows a lot more about it than a lot of us when he puts it back together. Sounds like he just enjoyed taking it apart. Nothing wrong with that if you do not mind the extra work. Granted it was not necessary but probably just fun.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

A friend of the family has a lift and was kind enough to allow me you use it. It did take a bit of time, because I was learning as I went. But I could take a body off now in about half a day

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
202 Posts
While the body is off the frame you could go right ahead and add a cdl.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not much work. Basically you drain you t/c, remove front drive shaft, swap t/c front housing with locking version, swap hi/lo shifter with locking version and that's basically it. Granted there is more odds and ends but i did it in a driveway and it took me about 3-4 hrs. Should be allot faster since the body ifs off the frame. there was a write up at the top of the threads but the link is dead now.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
We all have our different methods for anything we do. But I'm also have some of the body painted while I do the engine work.

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers
I've done more than 40 engine swaps in Rovers and never once did I think removing the body would be a good idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.