Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now can someone just remove the old crusty oil separator and stick a breather on that port to vent the gases and block the vacuum on the intake? Or is it necessary to replace the oil separator and have it vented the way it is. I cannot find a replacement locally as I live fairly remote.

thanks guys.

· Registered
225 Posts
Now can someone just remove the old crusty oil separator and stick a breather on that port to vent the gases and block the vacuum on the intake? Or is it necessary to replace the oil separator and have it vented the way it is. I cannot find a replacement locally as I live fairly remote.

thanks guys.
some guys on the other forum were replacing it with a filter but I know that a few of them noted oil building up on the opposite side. It could be unrelated and caused from some other issue but nobody seems to have any conclusive info, as far as I know. search LRF website. Personally, I don't like it. The separator can be bought online and shipped to your door. Once you remove it for the first time while you have the VC off, it should be much easier to pull out again when the new piece arrives. Just pull the separator housing out with some pliers while VC is in place so that you can swap the new unit in.

· The Old Guy
43 Posts
some guys on the other forum were replacing it with a filter but I know that a few of them noted oil building up on the opposite side. It could be unrelated and caused from some other issue but nobody seems to have any conclusive info, as far as I know. search LRF website. Personally, I don't like it. The separator can be bought online and shipped to your door. Once you remove it for the first time while you have the VC off, it should be much easier to pull out again when the new piece arrives. Just pull the separator housing out with some pliers while VC is in place so that you can swap the new unit in.
It is related, One valve cover is connected to low vacuum, before the throttle valve, the other valve cover is connected to high vacuum after throttle valve.
The idea is to remove the oil fumes from engine and burn them instead of releasing them into the atmosphere. If you put a breather on, and your engine has some miles on it, you will end up smelling oil and oil fumes will be released into your engine compartment and you will probably see oil accumulation around the breather.

· Registered
105 Posts
You might want to use a catch can if you do this.

Wait.... Why do you want to do this? If you oil separator is full of gunk, just clean it. You must realize that the crap that's collecting in there will be blown all over your engine compartment if you just stick a breather on.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welp, guess I will bite the bullet and just order the part and wait... and by breather I should elaborated that I would run a bypass down to the road for the interm so exactly that doesn't happen.

Thanks for the replies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.