Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I just returned from a 1400 mile road trip in my '99 D1 to Southern IL and back. I didn't notice this when I stopped for gas the last stop before home but when I looked at the truck this morning there were oil spots all over the rear end. I looked under the rear and saw some seepage from the rear axle hub but nothing significant, then I noticed the right rear wheel wet with oil or grease around the center on the inside. Any suggestions? At first I thought of a wheel cylinder leak but the brakes are fine and don't pull to one side. I suspect a wheel seal leaking diff oil. Let me know your thoughts. Is this common? Is it difficult to replace if it's the seal? Thanks in advance for your input. ;)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Seals aren't difficult to replace. You do need a 12 point 13mm socket to remove the brake caliper. Also, a hub nut socket is recommended, although you could remove the hub nut using a hammer and a screwdriver. While you are in there you might as well repack the bearings with grease.

You will need the inner and outer seal, hub locking washer and hub gasket (minimum). If your bearings are bad then you should change them also.

Check your diff breather hose and make sure it's not clogged, normally this causes the seals to go bad.

Remember the locktite.

Good luck.

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John C said:
Seals aren't difficult to replace. You do need a 12 point 13mm socket to remove the brake caliper. Also, a hub nut socket is recommended, although you could remove the hub nut using a hammer and a screwdriver. While you are in there you might as well repack the bearings with grease.

You will need the inner and outer seal, hub locking washer and hub gasket (minimum). If your bearings are bad then you should change them also.

Check your diff breather hose and make sure it's not clogged, normally this causes the seals to go bad.

Remember the locktite.

Good luck.
Thanks John. Would you recommend OEM parts from a dealer or do you have another source that would cost less?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.