Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

oil type

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  02disco2 
#1 ·
just bought 02 disco and was wondering if any long time onwners
would recomend oil type for 4.0 v8?

thankyou in advance! :wave:

#4 ·
I use 10w40 all year long as well. (dealer specification)

#7 ·
oil to use

I have found over the years that you get what you pay for. A friend of mine had the same motorbike as myself a BMW R1100RS we both have the same jobs (electricians) I use high grade fuel and fully synthetic oil, He has used standard fuel semi synthetic oil (8 years) Recently he has let the purse strings go and tried mobil 1 and high octane fuel. Now you can't shut him up trying to convert people. The moral to the story is try it before you knock it. All the best from Australia :drink1:

#8 ·
After having spent many years working within the lubricant industry - My recommedation is to use the lubricant spec. as given in the handbook. The replies as given above - other than Mobil 1 only refer to the viscosities part of the lubricant and not the full performance specification. If in doubt consult the LR dealership. If I can help further in any way please come back to me.

#10 ·
Not a fan of Mobile 1 myself. Had catistrophic engine failure in my last Audi S4 when using Mobile 1. Granted, I was running it very very hard, at a very high state of tune, but a series of small failures caused the demise of my powerplant. After dismanteling the entire engine I was surprised at how much sludge had developed in very curious places. I switched to Amsoil after rebuild and never looked back.

In the LR, I use dealer recommended Valvoline 10W40 (conventional motor oil). Not 100% sure why the choice was made on that particular brand but I haven't had any issues and I will have long since replaced this LR by the time the extended warranty expires. (need a larger vehicle :bawling: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.