Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SCUBA Instructor
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before, however, feel free to chime in with the correct answer and refresh my memory...

What weight of oil is best to for a 98 Disco in a hot (South FL) environment and why?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
What you need to establish is whether you intend to use synthetic or conventional oil, as there is a difference. If you decide on synthetic, use a 20W-50. As you have said you are in a hot climate, you can get away with a heavier/thicker viscosity oil, as it can get to your engine in good time. You could use even 10W-50, but ultimately the choice is yours.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is it a diesel or petrol disco. If it is diesel go for a 10w/40 designed for diesel as they have to carry soot which a petrol doesn't(ch4 spec) if it is petrol go for a 20w/50 as it is only a two valve engine. But you get what you pay for synthetic takes much higher temperatures and has a much higher shear factor(the molecule is smaller and therefore much stronger) so you decide,if you drive easy no problem, if you load it up pay a little extra.Cheap insurance. :drink1:

·
Registered
909 Posts
WOE guys..... Isn't 20w50 a little thick???? I live near Houston, and the temp can get in the 100's some times. The manual suggests 10w30, for normal temps. I go with that for the winter, and 10w40 in the summer. I put 20w50 in my mercedes diesel, for the summer. 15w50 in the winter. I also use synthetic only. I run that for 5000 miles.

·
SCUBA Instructor
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently running 20W50 ...I think it is synthetic

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
I run 10W40 all year long. :dunno:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.