Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· MG
714 Posts
The small lever forward of your gear lever is your center differential lock (CDL). It's basically setup in an H:

Aft is high gear
Forward is low gear
Right is CDL open
Left id CDL locked

In the middle, it's neutral...

Cheers,

· Registered
94 Posts
Does anyne else hae anymore ionfo on this? Mine is stuck as well. The link the johncoyle provided was great and has a ton of info but I was just wondering if anyne else has any tips or techniques before I go taking apart the console. Mine shifts into High and Low (forward and back) but won't budge left or right. Will the light only come on if it is shifted left or right.

-Blue

· MG
714 Posts
apbtpetey said:
Yes the light only comes on when you have the shifter in the right driver side (locked) position. The light tells you that the cdl is locked.
Is this the case with all models?

Either I have a burnt out light or it's not installed in my ´95 Disco...

· Registered
5,468 Posts
OK, this might help...if there is too much pressure, it will be difficult or impossible to engage or unengage. Park on a hill or slight grade. Put it in nuetral. As you try to engage it, let the truck roll a few inches to relieve any pressure. This might allow for it to engage.

· Registered
94 Posts
roverX said:
OK, this might help...if there is too much pressure, it will be difficult or impossible to engage or unengage. Park on a hill or slight grade. Put it in nuetral. As you try to engage it, let the truck roll a few inches to relieve any pressure. This might allow for it to engage.
When you mention this technique are you talking about releiving the pressure so it will shift into Hi/Low or are you atlking about shifting it left or right to engage the CDL? Sorry...I know we're beating this thing to death but alot of people seem to have this problem.

-Blue

· Registered
188 Posts
bluemax09 said:
Does anyne else hae anymore ionfo on this? Mine is stuck as well. The link the johncoyle provided was great and has a ton of info but I was just wondering if anyne else has any tips or techniques before I go taking apart the console. Mine shifts into High and Low (forward and back) but won't budge left or right. Will the light only come on if it is shifted left or right.

-Blue
I had the same thing on mine, shifts to low and high but not lock. After removing the console, taking everything apart and many four letter words, I got it back together working as it should. I actually had to remove the shifter mechanism from the top of the t-box and work it on the vise to get it to shift over. Plan a good part of the day doing this.

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
*Hijack*

While you guys are at it, have you heard of any problems with it being locked up going from Hi to low and back. Ive got a friend with a '94 DI and this problem is giving him hell. He has had the entire t-case lubed up and checked....along with the t-case linkage replaced because the original rusted and broke. Any suggestions?

*Hijack*

· Registered
5,468 Posts
bluemax09 said:
When you mention this technique are you talking about releiving the pressure so it will shift into Hi/Low or are you atlking about shifting it left or right to engage the CDL? Sorry...I know we're beating this thing to death but alot of people seem to have this problem.

-Blue

Just relieving the pressure. Let it roll without being in gear.

· Magicly Delicious
1,019 Posts
keptin said:
*Hijack*

While you guys are at it, have you heard of any problems with it being locked up going from Hi to low and back. Ive got a friend with a '94 DI and this problem is giving him hell. He has had the entire t-case lubed up and checked....along with the t-case linkage replaced because the original rusted and broke. Any suggestions?

*Hijack*
im willing to put money on that god damned solenoid. you just take out the center console, and its roughly underneath the tranny gear selector. you take off a couple of bolts, disconect the wire, put the little cover back on, and your buddy is good to go.

if he's taken out the center console before it would only take a couple of hours.

· Registered
102 Posts
weldontr said:
How do you lock the differential? Just got done trying to climb a hill and my front tires starting spinning, but the back tires were doing nothing???
Make sure your Main Gearbox is in Neutral or Park, if it still wont go, drive backwards a few metres, still stuck? Drive forward and back a few times to unwind transmission Windup, go to Neutral or park (engine running) and try again, if it still doesn't engage you have a Mechanical problem that will need to be fixed, Regards Frank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.