Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
very disco
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@KiwiBrett are you saying there’s no aftermarket hardware on your 3” lift, it’s all software? I wonder if that’s attainable on an LR3, I’m not super familiar with any changes on the LR4 platform. I’ve not been able to coax more than 2” on mine

·
Registered
D4 TDV6 5" Lift 33MTs
4 Posts
@KiwiBrett are you saying there’s no aftermarket hardware on your 3” lift, it’s all software? I wonder if that’s attainable on an LR3, I’m not super familiar with any changes on the LR4 platform. I’ve not been able to coax more than 2” on mine
Yes, all software. Done in Christchurch NZ by a guy who is a lead satellite repairer for the LR Dealership there. It took him two years to get the coding right. Did a D3 first, then my truck which he built for himself. But his personal plans changed and I bought it. He's done some more D4s since. The addition of 18" 33's gives me a total of around 5" with "off-road height" still available. But that's really pushing the articulation so best used for getting off a particular rock. Downside is if I choose a terrain response that requires ORH then I have to wait for it to lift, then send it back to normal height. By then half the convoy of club* trucks has headed off down the trail and the other half are behind me cursing modern Land Rovers!
I see in the States you can get 3" lift rods, not sure if that isn't just as good and reversible. An upside is my road handling is firm and D4 corners dead flat. Even on the 33" general Grabbers I can give sport hatches a scare on twisty mountain roads. The diesel's 680Nm of torque helps too!
•Club is lorca.org.nz Land Rover Owners Club Auckland. When I was president in 2011 it was the largest Land Rover Club in the Southern Hemisphere. Trails here are generally bush or farm, lots of hills, mud and technical driving. Absolutely no rock crawling or open sand dunes... Log into Facebook there's some good video there.

·
Registered
2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE V8
52 Posts
I would recommend Some Lucky8LLC Metal Spacers if you are going for more than 2" of lift. It is more expensive, but for the already sketchy reliability of the air springs, more and more electronic lift puts less and less comfort and articulatetion and more and more stress on the parts. I know there are also people who swear by lift rods, but that's my two cents.

·
very disco
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I believe the supposition was that no hardware (lift rods) was employed on the lift in question, strictly software modification.

I think the air suspension is only perceived as unreliable as it is because these trucks on the road haven’t seen the requisite service and may be as old as 16 years with original gear. That being said, lift on my RRS felt great and original, but lift on my D3 feels noticeably more floaty.

·
Registered
2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE V8
52 Posts
I believe the supposition was that no hardware (lift rods) was employed on the lift in question, strictly software modification.

I think the air suspension is only perceived as unreliable as it is because these trucks on the road haven’t seen the requisite service and may be as old as 16 years with original gear. That being said, lift on my RRS felt great and original, but lift on my D3 feels noticeably more floaty.
More floaty with a lift? Really? I haven't heard that from people but mostly talking about the L663. If that is the case I may look into a one or two-inch lift for my D3!
And yes, I also consider the LR3 Air suspension at least to be very reliable. My Front Springs lasted 170k miles and my back original ones are still kicking it

21 - 25 of 25 Posts