Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Prepping for the Ebola Zombie Apocalypse
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I loaded the Disco down (complete with a kayak on the top) and made the 300 mile drive from Destin to Baton Rouge yesterday. Between the rain, wind, and bad front shock, it was interesting on the interstate. (Especially when the driver's side wiper arm stripped out, but that's another story.)

What I need to do, ASAP is replace the front shocks. With no knowledge of the exact lift on my rig, though, I'm at a loss here. I know it's an Old Man Emu. But that's all I know.

:help: How can I identify which front shocks I have? With no load and the tire size, is there a standard height the fender should be so that I can measure it's height from the ground?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First, take a socket to the pivot nut on your wiper and re-tighten it.
As for your suspensioin, first how many miles is on your truck?
From the factory, they all came with the same shock, the rears did have a few valving options depending on the model and options.
As for what to do, yes the OME Sport shocks will make a huge difference, but if you are at or close to 100,000 miles, your coils are pretty warn out so depending on what you want to accomplish, you may or may not want to also consider new springs.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's got 88K on it, Mike. The shocks are yellow, and the suspension isn't stock height.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, looks like the tire size I'm running (265/75-16) according to this page: Land Rover Stock Tire Sizes by Vehicle Model is the stock size for a lifted 99 Disco. That further complicates the issue. So it could be stock AND lifted?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
It really can't be stock with 265's.
Yellow shock tells me someone has replace the shocks before, that being said, can you better describe what you want to correct with the suspension as it sits?
Also, can you take a tape measure out and measure front the ground to the bottom of the wheel well molding, this will tell me a lot.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do I want to correct? The excessive bouncing of the front passenger side of the vehicle, the way that side dips sharply when I turn to the left, the way the nose sinks on that side when I change lanes, you know, the usual stuff when a shock is blown.

As for the measurements,
Front Driver Fender: 36.25
Front Pass Fender: 36
Back Driver Fender: 36.25
Back Pass Fender: 36

As you can see the whole vehicle leans slightly toward the wheel with the bad shock and I don't know which size to buy.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welp, I figured it out. It took some digging but I found a stock number of N107 on one of my front shocks. Now I know. I also found the identifier tag still on the OME779 springs. Now I know.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
779 front coils are the HD D2 coils from OME. The shock you have are the older OME shock which were replace about 3 years ago with their new 3 valve Sport Shocks.
So, if you are bouncing, it is from a failed shock not the coils and you have the normal 2.5" lift when running 265's.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I found a set of exact replacements on EBay for $99 plus shipping, NIB. Now, if I only knew how to put them on. (Shocks and springs scare me.)

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Don't tell me bought some junk shocks for your truck, what brand are they?

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hell no! I got the same OMEs that are on it now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts