Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

Looking for some input on the 60024L and 60025L Extended Length Shocks by OME. I am going mad over whether or not these will be a good decision, given their longer travel.

I have searched just about everywhere, and due to their relatively new addition to the OME lineup, there are few out there that actually know their open/closed lengths.

I am currently running stock shocks on my lift (I know, I know), and I hear them top out on most higher speed stuff including speed-bumps and good size compressors on the road. Offroad they top out, but it doesn't scare me because it is slow enough...

I have an email into OME tech for the lengths, as it would be a good place to start I think.

My thoughts are...

Possibly Good:
More negative travel, more articulation, less topping out

Possibly Bad:
Bottoming out on OME 779/762 with D1 Spring Seats
Needing extended brake-lines/abs
Possible front driveshaft contact with front cross member (spacer needed)
Rear conversion to double-cardan

I am not running sway bar disconnects, and the sway bars are present.

My thoughts are that the OME 20064/20065 combo is only a half inch longer than the stock LR shock, and I am running an unladen (no winch/bumper/rear bumper) truck currently. I do however carry about 150lbs of gear in the back almost everyday...

HELP! I don't want to cause more trouble than it is worth!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You don't have a lot of choice fro extended shocks, every other extended shock on the market is junk. At least the extended Sport shock is built strong/well.
I have run the standard older OME shocks for 11 years, and yes, they are now tires, but I never had any serious issues with their length. You shouldn't have a drive shaft/cross member issue, I don't and I am running 751 front springs which are an inch taller then your 779's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updates

I got a great email from OME today...

Hi Dailey,
The long shocks are about 2 inches longer than the standard shocks for the D2. They were really intended for 3-4 inch lifts with custom bumpstops and potentially captive spring retainers. The other concern on a D2 is the front bolt on crossmember that runs under the driveshaft. With longer shocks the driveshaft will make contact with that crossmember potentially damaging the shaft. Below are the specs for the D2 shocks. Front and rear lengths are the same on these vehicles.

Long shocks 627mm open 388 closed
Standard OME shocks 587 open 368 closed

Best Regards,
Marc Bowers
Technical Supervisor & Warranty Manager

I already ordered them, so I suppose I will get them on and see how they fare, maybe a front crossmember spacer is in order...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You won't regret that, they are great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just installed the front two this evening...

Wow. That's about exactly how I felt. I can't reiterate how good these things feel. They are stiffer when I am hard in the brakes, less nose diving, corner way better, and soak up just about anything with ease.

I can't wait to get the rears on tomorrow.

I will post some pictures and check abs/brakelines/crossmember clearance this weekend.

So far I am in love pics to come.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts