Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I have a Disco 2 2001, ACE with 101K miles. My SLS air suspension gave up and I decided to install an OME heavy duty kit. The truck looks and feels good with a 2” lift. Everything seems to be in proper order and installed correctly, sometimes as I drive around and the truck changes direction from left to right or tilt side to side I get this loud “cluck/pop” noise from the front right side that you even feel it through the floor inside the cabin. I brought it back to the shop and my LR guy and his team checked everything top to bottom and could not find anything. We checked all sway bark links and bushings, third members, shocks, springs, Etc. They put the truck on the lift looked under, drove the truck around at lower and high speed and sometimes the “cluck/pop” is there and sometimes is not. However, driving 20mph in a fast zig zag pattern will do reproduce the sound. My LR guy thinks it could be the ACE shock/arm in the front right, we physically inspected and it looks OK, performed ACE test with the computer and could not replicate the sound.
Have anyone had any issues with ACE after the truck was lifted? I did not have this issue before the lift. Is there a way to check the ACE system without having to disconnect it? Does it need some type of re-calibration? Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Thank you all,

Figman

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Pretty sure ther is a calibration process that includes measuring ride height
If you performed a lift AND converted from air springs to coils then the computer surely needs to be reset for coils as opposed to air springs. Hard to say if your clunk is ace related or not but if the height has been changed and the sensors do not know it.... Anything is possible
The sensor (suspension height ) need to be retrained for the suspension difference

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Have them check the front shock tower bolts. I also got a "clunk" noise after a lift. Ended up being a loose shock tower on the DR side. I tightened the bolts and all is well. Make sure you do not overtighten as the bolts will break.

If that doesn't do it inspect the ball joints/tie rod/drag link. Sometimes they fail and cause the noise.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Points well taken, I will stop by my mechanic in the next couple days. I will ask them to check on the shock tower bolts, also will follow up and see if he found anything on a re-calibration on the ACE system.

I know he had to reprogrammed the computer to remove the SLS setup from it, but not sure if there is anything else to do regarding the ACE, in the mean time this noise seems to be happening when I turn to either side and when the wheels return to straight position. It is driving crazy and after I brought the truck to my guy we discovered both rear sway bar link had some play. We replaced them thinking it will fix the problem. Also, the front right (passenger) sway bar link was also replace after the old one broken while performing the lift. The left sway bar link looks ok so they left it alone. All other bushings and links seem to be okay under the truck. so I have no idea on what is causing this.

All comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Figman

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but as I recall from the last time I was under my 2000 with A C E
Both passenger side stabilizer links (sway bar links) are the ACE actuators and not actual links
The shock tower bolts are a good point to check considering it is since the lift

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.