Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in ownership of my '01DII, I heard the most horrific noise coming from the front of my rover: a squeaking sound when moving my steering wheel.

It's not power steering-related, but I fear that it is a looming ball joint failure from my front axle. When I last looked, the rubber bushings at both left and right front wheels were rather dry and worn, so it's time to replace them?

Has anyone had this replaced/repaired? Any other suspension-related items I should fix as well?

And I think I may need an alignment too along with a new steering damper.

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Auto part Tire

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How many miles on that Disco?
As for the noise, might want to remove your belt and spin each pulley to see if one is failing.
I would worry much about an alignment unless one of the outer edges of one tire is warn badly, also you can only do a toe adjustment.
When was the last time you did a major service like the one posted at the top of this section, have you rebuilt or replaced your front drive shaft?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on that Disco?
As for the noise, might want to remove your belt and spin each pulley to see if one is failing.
I would worry much about an alignment unless one of the outer edges of one tire is warn badly, also you can only do a toe adjustment.
When was the last time you did a major service like the one posted at the top of this section, have you rebuilt or replaced your front drive shaft?
Hey Mike.

I have 140K on her. And yes, my front tires are showing a little uneven wear towards the inner -center walls.

Yes, I've done the major service. I *just* found a shop here in Dallas recommended by another DII owner. I'll be doing the r/b in just a week or so. Until then, I'm driving with the CDL engaged.

By the way, what are the parts I need to replace those parts on the wheel? I already know about the drag link and the track rod, but what about those bushings right at the wheels?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.