Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave: Howdy all.

Just wondering, what seems to fail the most on the Discos? I just bought a 1996 Disco 1 and it came in pretty good shape. Only thing I have noted so far is a locked diff-lock and the sporatic Lucas O2 sensor that occasionally trips up the CheckEngine light.

It has about 90,000 miles and wonder what to expect in the future. :dunno:

Adam :drive:

·
Registered
62 Posts
you cant really pinpoint what could be nect, it all depends on service history but i would crawl under and see whats wet and also check the intake vally gasket in the back by the DIS for coolant. leaks are the most common problems on higher milage rovers :drink1:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Nothing unusual, 90,000 miles and the originial O2's are probably fried. If the diff lock has not been used in some time you will need to clean and lube the linkage alot to loosen it up, don't force it, one of the linkage arms can and will bend, take your time.
Have fun with your new truck,
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies...

:drive:

Thanks for the info. I was busy looking over what minor damage after the solid day of rain from one of those hurricane remaints. I finally was able to swap out the Lucas o2 sensor and the change in pickup was readily apparent. Stupid sensor costs 650 dollars and bought one used of eBay for 100 and change. I took some intake cleaner to it though before installing.

I was also able to swap out those pesky little bulbs on the floor shifter. I did not realise that those bulbs are lit all the time. Found the passenger ashtray (why would you want to put chewing gum inside that?). The rear door let some water in, so I guess the next job after freeing the diff-lock is changing all the weatherstripping around the doors and also swapping out the rear glass. The rear wiper scratched that up but good. Wonder if this is a easy way to fix that scratch on that safety glass?
:eek:fftopic1

·
Registered
454 Posts
As far as the glass goes, I've seen detailers use a rubbing compund to remove light scratches.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Brake light switches
Cruise control hoses
ABS/SRS
Heater fan switch
Clock illumination lights
door latches/locks/actuators
window regulators

Everything else is dependent upon previous owner maintenance.

check the swivel balls before doing anything else, they're expensive to clean up after they explode from no lube.

Same with universal joints-for some reason, Rover owners don't think they need to be replaced.

Peace,
PT

·
Registered
18 Posts
swivel balls

check the swivel balls before doing anything else, they're expensive to clean up after they explode from no lube.

What are the swivel balls, and can you give some idea of how to lubricate them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Adam in NYC USA said:
:drive:
Stupid sensor costs 650 dollars and bought one used of eBay for 100 and change. I took some intake cleaner to it though before installing.
:eek:fftopic1
For future reference, the cheapest place for O2 sensors I've found was Nathan at http://www.discountbritishparts.com . Another great parts source and cheap too is htt://www.roverparkboys.com they're located in Canada but am sure they'll ship to the US and best of all the prices are in CDN funds so your American dollar will go a long way.
take care
sam

·
Registered
62 Posts
swivel ball is the front ends lube housing 4 the "CV" joints basically the lube goes in on the top there is a square topped plug (14 mm) turn the wheel all the way to the side your working on and get thick grease from dealer or other source but check the swivel balls because they have a problem with the metal pitting wich tends to tear the seal and cause a leak and will give the same results as a torn cv boot on any other car/truck :D

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to you all....

You all have given me some idea where to look. I will try to do most in the next couple of weeks.

BTW, I bought a used rear glass for cheap off eBay ($40.00 plus shipping)and had the local glass guy swap it out. Also swapped out that 13A rear wiper with a 15. 13A wipers from Bosch are not a popular item. Works better now as well, with a little help with RainX.

Thanks all. Adam :drive:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts