Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 RRS V6 Supercharged. 80k miles. Services at all intervals. No extended warranty (doh!)

Had some rough engine noise and vibration on highway and CEL. I pulled off at a gas station and shut down. Checked for obvious issue. Little bit of oil near the engine mount on the passenger side. Some smoke. Engine didn't overheat or do anything obvious. Restarted the engine and got the white puffs of smoke in the exhaust but it smelled like oil. Not coolant. Had it towed to reputable 3rd party LR repair facility. They wanted to do a pressure test as they thought it was a head gasket. Only cylinder 4 failed. They put a scope on it and it was "heavily pitted and had signs of major crack".

They are suggesting complete replacement of the engine.
Is there any TSB/Topix related to these engines and sudden catastophic failure? The mechanic couldn't point to any cause. Not a timing belt issue. They said they never saw an engine on this model fail like this.

Should I try to get LRUSA to do a goodwill replacement or how do I go about engaging with them in that way?

Thanks

2014 RRS V6 Supercharged (Dead Engine)
2015 Evoque Pure plus
2004 Disco 2 HSE V8

·
very disco
1,842 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My condolences on your RR.

I wouldn’t even bother with a “good will” with JLRUSA. Maybe, if you bought it new, they miiiight do something, but I highly doubt it, let alone a complete engine replacement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts