Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was loading some camping gear into my 2006 Land Rover LR3 and the driver speaker started making this load thumping noise. I put my key and went to start it and made it to accessories and it stopped. I was almost done loading so I left my keys there and went to grab more stuff. When I came back it was making the load thumping noise again. I started the engine and it went away So I turned it back off. I finished loading and drove away only to realize that only the passenger speaker is working Now.

So far I have tried a hard reset and cleaning out the amp connections. Still only the passenger speaker is working. Has anyone seen this before and know what I should do next?

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
389 Posts
i was loading some camping gear into my 2006 Land Rover LR3 and the driver speaker started making this load thumping noise. I put my key and went to start it and made it to accessories and it stopped. I was almost done loading so I left my keys there and went to grab more stuff. When I came back it was making the load thumping noise again. I started the engine and it went away So I turned it back off. I finished loading and drove away only to realize that only the passenger speaker is working Now.

So far I have tried a hard reset and cleaning out the amp connections. Still only the passenger speaker is working. Has anyone seen this before and know what I should do next?
Sounds like one or more of the connections in the head unit have worked themselves loose. I’m not familiar with that head unit so I can’t with certainty unfortunately

·
very disco
2,696 Posts
Idk, maybe. In my experience, artifacts are induced into the audio at or after the amplifier, less likely between the head unit preamps and the amp.

IIRC from my D3 gut swap, the amp is under the passenger seat, were you jamming gear down in that area?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the second row seats down all the way flat. I did load stuff on top of that seat though. We did also put some shoes in the small space under the seat between the passenger seat which would have been near the amp. There is a bar protecting the amp that I noticed when I was cleaning the connections.

·
very disco
2,696 Posts
I suppose you could put a DMM on the amp harness and see if it’s putting out signal on the speaker wires or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked to make sure power and ground was working and I saw the red optical light. How would I confirm signal output?

·
very disco
2,696 Posts
You would need a multimeter with probes across the +/- terminals for each speaker output

·
Registered
22 Posts
Try this trick because it happens on my 05 LR3 on a daily basis wherein only the passenger side speaker is working when I turn radio on. Jerk the volume control to hi then back to low real quick and see if that opens up the connections. It seems like there is a gate that is preventing the signal to the driver side to pass through and only opens up when there is a strong signal pushed through it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I tried what was suggested and still couldn't get my other speakers to work. I've driven around more and realized my one working speaker was fluctuating in volume as well. I decided to look on eBay for a used amp and decided to give it a shot. Just replaced it a few minutes ago and all speakers are working again. We'll see how long this amp lasts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts